diy solar

diy solar

one MMPT using two strings, both a series of 10, may they face different directions, slightly?

SolarSamAK

Okay, I have my Sol-Ark 15k up and running. Two MMPTs are being used and bring in 8700 watts of solar. All panels are REC and face the same direction, 190 degrees Southwest. These two MMPTs, each having 12 panels per MMPT are well balanced and producing better than expected in my current conditions. I am net metering, so no battery yet. Since going live 2 weeks ago I have had nothing but rain. I am in Southern Alaska, so long days, but tons of rain. Production is about 18 to 22 KW per day. Some days better if the sun comes out and others worse if dark clouds are present all day long.
I have a solar shed and ground mounts as well, but not yet completed. Two strings in series of 10 panels, 300 watts each, Canadian Solar I wish put on MMPT 3, that remains open. My Solar Shed setup faces 170 degrees, almost true south. Roof is a pitched 9/12 so about 37 degrees plus I can wall mount panels at 90 degrees on the shed. My ground mounts face a Southwest direction at 195 to 200 degrees. I have not gone live yet with the additional 6000k. The ground mounts will be built into a retaining wall about 32 inches off the ground with a steep grade below. This helps a lot with both shading and snow removal as the angle will be close to 60 degrees. At 60 degrees this should give me better winter production and limit snow build up though I would prefer an even stepper angle.
My question for those more experienced, how badly will the difference in direction and angle effect the production of my MPPT #3. The two strings are different in both direction and angle. Should I run two copper lines so I may connected both into the Sol Ark via the two ports on the MMPT or combine at the Shed, about 55 t0 60 feet away from the Sol Ark. Would it be of benefit to enable the ability to shut off one or both of the strings, say one produces much better in winter than the other. Then in the summer the opposite is true. Just trying to plan ahead before I finish the build. I have lots of EMT pipe already in the ground and tons of 10g copper wire. I think the key word he is azimuth. Any advice would be appreciated.

South Alaska /Coordinates
61.2176° N, 149.8997° W

Some panel string rules:

1) All panels in a string must face the same direction, or they will all be restricted to the performance of the least favorable panel.
2) Strings in parallel on the same MPPT may face different directions provided 1) is met
3) Strings in parallel on the same MPPT must have the same panel count.
4) Strings on separate MPPT may face different directions provided 1) is met.

I did an experiment with two panels facing slightly different directions(total degree difference was around 10°) with one more aimed at the sun. I compared each panel's output by itself and what the combined value was. With both panels exposed, it was basically the sum of the two panels individually. The max voltage was pretty much an average of the two panels voltage output.

So yes, you can have panels facing different directions on the same solar controller.

Back