diy solar

diy solar

Opinions and suggestions for my BMS selection

Kibirad

Hi,

before someone suggests doing more research and reading the forum more I would like to say that after dozens of hours spent doing exactly that I'm writing this. I've also watched some videos from Andy's off-grid garage but his style of videos really isn't my cup of tea and quickly it became just the notion of forcing myself to watch something, read something. I want someone to check my thought process, give me some pointers, and move on to another thing.

About my system
My system will be based on the Victron products. At the moment I have one Multiplus II 48/5000 and multiple BlueSolar MPPTs sitting around. As stated above my system will work with a voltage of 48 V. At the moment I have 3,6 kWp solar panels which are currently used only for heating water. Later I'm planning to expand to 10-15 kWp. Part AC coupled but most DC coupled. Yes, I know about the 1.0 rule. And now about the battery pack. I'm going to order 16 pcs of EVE 304 Ah grade A cells from NKON. For now.

BMS
I don't want to cheap out on the materials but the cost of building vs buying a finished battery is a factor for me. So paying for the BMS almost as much as the batteries isn't really a path I would like to choose. Especially if you take a look at what really the BMS is in the way of HW and the SW of the premium BMS doesn't seem to have the capabilities of Chinese BMSs. But I'm getting off the topic.

I have taken a look at the following BMS manufacturers: Orion, REC, JK, JBD, Seplos and Dali. The Dali, Orion, and the REC were eliminated. I think I don't need to explain why I eliminated Dali. The Orino and REC were eliminated mostly due to their price and from my research it doesn't seem they have the capabilities of the other inverter BMSs but I may be wrong. So we are down to the Seplos, JK and JBD. But I'm open to the suggestions.

Let's talk parameters.

Type of BMS (Separate, Common, Hybrid, External)
I don't really care as the only time the BMS starts meddling in normal operation is if something fails and I don't really mind if all does "black". If it protects the batteries I'm happy and maybe happier if it doesn't allow any discharge or charge in that state.

Communication
Yes! Being able to communicate with the Victron system is something I really want. For the sake of SoC, tampering charging (I'm not really sure how this exactly works because now I mainly focus on the BMS. I have Multiplus and MPPT's sitting in the basement but getting to the setting is my priority after solving BMS). I know that people have different opinions on the inverter-bms communication but I really like it so I would really like this feature.

Temperature sensors (Heating function)
The battery pack will be at a place where the temperature won't go outside the range of 15-25°C so heating isn't really needed. About the heating from discharge. Just a quick math. Victron Multiplus 48/5000 has a rating of 4 kW but just for the worst scenario let's count with 5 kW add 10 % power loss and the load is 5,5 kW. I'm not really looking at surge rating because it isn't that much of a problem as long and steady load on the batteries. So 5,5 kW at 48 V is 115A and that is 0,38 C. At that load the cells shouldn't heat much. But I'm open to the experience of others because I wasn't able to find much about how much LiFePo4 heats up. Only that it doesn't heat "much" under 1C. So yes. The temperature measuring capability is nice but I don't really think I need it as much. If someone has experience with how much battery heats up under let's say 0,5C I would really like to hear about it.

Balancing function
Yes. I plan to balance the cells and because they will be grade A EVE cells I think they won't need much of a balancing but it will always be handy to have some. Preferably active balancer because I will always be happier to transfer the energy than "waste it" as heat and raise the temperature inside the battery enclosure. The option of an external cell balancer isn't an option for me because I don't believe that BMS and cell balancer will work optimally if there is a chance of corrupting voltage readings to each other.

User definable parameters
Yes! Probably the main option. The more there is to set up and not just use static preprogrammed values the better. Being able to set up min/max pack voltage by your preference, max current, balancing voltage, SoC reset, etc. Seems like the main feature so I really want it.

Display capability
If it has one it is nice but I will probably use it for the first few months and then forget about it because I'm planning to have data online via something. I'm not sure exactly what I will choose. Maybe just Victron VRM, maybe something else.

Updatable software
A biggie. If there is any bug I want the capability to fix it with software update.

Paralleling capability
I'm planning to expand my battery bank so I really need some BMS that can communicate with other BMS modules. At least with BMSs from the same company and then port data from both to the Victron.

Pre-charge & current limiting
If I got it correctly the current limiting is mainly used in cases when you connect another battery with widely different SoC so the one wouldn't get discharged with massive current and the other on charged with said current. I get that you can use it for pre-charging the inverter, at least theoretically, but you would need to set this function every time when you connect the inverter to the battery. Which shouldn't be much, but. The pre-charging capability seems good until you read about some warnings that the pre-charge timer set to maximum value still isn't enough and it can lead to cycling between turning on and off the inverter and possibly even damaging it. So this functionality isn't really that much of a concern to me. Especially with low-frequency Victron, there could be a problem. But I would probably at least try it if it was built in. When shove comes to push I don't have a problem using a resistor-based pre-charge circuit.

Basically with the priorities set, the only option seems like JK. I'm right? The JBD isn't fully programmable (If I remember the datasheet correctly the SoC reset was the same as OV protection, some parameters seemed like static values), Seplos doesn't have a balancer, only an external one that isn't a part of it and it still looks like like it does have some relays? So possible mechanical failure. JK seems like the most popular on the forum and it also does have the most posts with some problems, but 80% of it looks like a user error.

What I don't like is that apparently, the JK can be in some cases prone to bricking and the last major problem Andy in off-grid garage found wasn't good news either. On the other hand, the speed and just the existence of the new software patch update gives JK bonus points. On the other hand, such a major bug shouldn't happen on a released product with its main purpose thrown out of the window.

I would really like to hear other people's opinions, suggestions, etc. Thank you all for your replies in advance.

I have a number of DIY 48v packs, JK's on most of them. They work, never any problems (for me). I will be installing more soon.
Thank you for your reply. Are you planning on using the newer versions of JK? I'm thinking about JK-PB2A16S20P.

Probably out of the price range… Batrium.

I have Batrium BMS, it will connect with Victron.

For one battery it will be too much, but to add each additional 16s battery - you will just need another Cellmate K9.

Especially if you wanted several 16s batteries- that’s when it may make sense financially. You will only have one watchman bms for as many 16s batteries as you can afford.

Good Luck with your decision.

Probably out of the price range… Batrium.

I have Batrium BMS, it will connect with Victron.

For one battery it will be too much, but to add each additional 16s battery - you will just need another Cellmate K9.

Especially if you wanted several 16s batteries- that’s when it may make sense financially. You will only have one watchman bms for as many 16s batteries as you can afford.

Good Luck with your decision.
I've looked briefly into Batrium. From what I remember the solution was weird to me. It looked like a DIY thing, in the sense that the DIY BMS is. But it was regularly sold. Maybe it is just my problem but it doesn't seem as clean of a solution as the industrial / rack format BMS types from JK, JBD, Seplos.. Also, the need to buy an external contactor or DC breaker with the capability of being turned off by signal doesn't appeal to me. Especially if you want to have hardware with at least some certificate. At the currents I'm looking at the prices are the prices for industrial types of breakers etc. so not really cheap. But I tend to overbuild things... rather have something at 60% of rated current than all the time at 90%. But mainly the "standby" current that is needed just to power the coil of contactor seems like a deal breaker. I know there are bistable contractors but those ones I've found didn't have a current rating high enough. I'm not saying it is impossible and that it is a bad design, but at the moment this solution doesn't resonate with me. Still thanks for the suggestion.

To be fair I will probably buy one of those BMS mentioned in the first post and after all is up and running and I have more time I will probably start playing with something like DIY BMS and heavily modify it or straight develop something of my own. Now I just need something that won't take much time to set up, work, and last at least a few years.

Not sure yet, the jury is still out it seems.
I have a few of the older JK's on a shelf ready to go, so I don't feel stuck.
Do you mean that in the way that you are still giving it time to mature more and get more feedback from the community or are those personal reservations about the newer model?

Do you mean that in the way that you are still giving it time to mature more and get more feedback from the community or are those personal reservations about the newer model?
Waiting to hear from the members if the newer JK issues have been fully addressed, or not. It seems there may still be some issues with these.
I bought all my JK BMS's at once for the DIY battery builds more than a year ago. No issues with the older version.

Waiting to hear from the members if the newer JK issues have been fully addressed, or not. It seems there may still be some issues with these.
I bought all my JK BMS's at once for the DIY battery builds more than a year ago. No issues with the older version.
Any specific issues to be aware of? The issue with settings resetting seems to be solved (the implemented solution isn't the cleanest one but it seems to work), bricked units should still be salvageable as was shown in one of Andy's videos. Communication and paralleling problems seemed at least to me be caused by user error. Maybe there was an issue with communication to different inverters than Victron? But that exact problem doesn't bother me. To be fair all the info is getting more and more blurry just by a factor of time and the amount of information.

Get the Inverter JK for simple Victron setup. Or get the cheaper 'older' version JK if you are an advanced Victron user and can command line to install Dbus-Serial Battery. Which is more powerful in function than just the JK Inverter BMS. - But It's not particularly easy to set up, so a steep learning and reading curve.

Do you get cell readings in the GX device with the Inverter BMS, like you can with Dbus-Serial?:

Screenshot_20240126-143942.png

Get the Inverter JK for simple Victron setup. Or get the cheaper 'older' version JK if you are an advanced Victron user and can command line to install Dbus-Serial Battery. Which is more powerful in function than just the JK Inverter BMS. - But It's not particularly easy to set up, so a steep learning and reading curve.

Do you get cell readings in the GX device with the Inverter BMS, like you can with Dbus-Serial?:
The older versions aren't really an option for me. I want to have some headroom above the nominal current. If you take into account the classical Chinese current ratings, the 200A version BMS seems like a good choice for loads around 100A. If I'm correct they have only one older 200A 16s BMS and that one does have soldered wires instead of the screw terminals. That is a deal breaker for me. They are just adding unnecessary connections in the current path. Then you need to add additional connectors just to connect this BMS to other parts of the wiring and it is just messier.

The D-Bus seems nice. Apparently, I saved the post when it was introduced to the forum but forgot about it. But at the moment if I take into consideration the time it would take to read through documentation, implement it, and be confident in that solution it wouldn't make any economic sense. But thanks for the suggestion, always nice to learn about new things and solutions.

I'm not sure about the exact cell reading. But to be fair if everything works perfectly how often do you really need this type of information? I think there is some information about the lowest and highest cell voltage in GX and that seems like enough information for me. If the cells start getting from each other I don't have a problem hooking up cable straight from the PC to the BMS and look what is happening. But I'm hoping that grade A EVE cells from NKON will be exactly that and after proper top balance and with a correctly set up balancer, it should be fine. I get it, I'm the type of person who likes to play with settings and see all available info too. But lately, I'm finding that you will end up in a state where you check only a few key values and you are good. Unless something goes bad and in that case, it will be better in most cases to connect directly to the BMS.

Any specific issues to be aware of? The issue with settings resetting seems to be solved (the implemented solution isn't the cleanest one but it seems to work),
I would like to hear from members that have implemented the firmware update, confirm the fix is permanent. I would also like to hear that JK are making the upgrade prior to shipping out new units, rather than leaving this to the users.
bricked units should still be salvageable as was shown in one of Andy's videos.
There were issues with the password access, again, it would be my opinion that JK need to address this prior to shipping out new units, not leave this to the users to fix.

Communication and paralleling problems seemed at least to me be caused by user error. Maybe there was an issue with communication to different inverters than Victron? But that exact problem doesn't bother me. To be fair all the info is getting more and more blurry just by a factor of time and the amount of information.
I am not sure JK has addressed the comms issues, I would like to hear from forum members.

Back