diy solar

diy solar

Orientation of inverter

TiKiMaTT

I thought I had the layout of each component figured out, but then after reading the manual for Renogy’s 2000 W inverter I’m back to the drawing board. ....bottom of page 9... https://www.renogy.com/content/RNG-INVT-2000-12V-P2/INVT-P2-Manual.pdf

“ WARNING The inverter should never be mounted vertically on a vertical surface since it would present a hazard for the fan opening which is crucial for cooling the inverter.”

Almost every install I’ve seen has the inverter mounted on a wall. What am I missing? The forest or the trees? I swear I took the long bus to school...

The inverter can be mounted on a wall its just can't be mounted fan side up.
Fan side down is also probably sub optimal.
I didn't look at your link.
Hopefully I've not missed something important. :)

The argument would be that something could fall into the fan vent and jam the fan. The thermal management in the inverter should shut it down if the temperature ever got out of hand so that shouldn't be a concern really. A decent inverter would also have signalling from the fan to indicate it is spinning or not and shutdown if not away.

I'd be more concerned about something conductive being dropped into the opening. That said I have my inverter mounted horizontally. It makes more sense. Vertically for me at least would mean the DC input is too close to the floor, or alternately the AC output is too high up.

If you are worried about it and want to mount fan side up, put a "drip shield" over the inverter.

Thank you, that makes much more sense as far as what (fan) is inverted. I was planning on mounting it fan down assuming the fan sucks in and pushes the heat out the top. Looks like I can do that.

The fans blow out to draw the air from the vents on the other end.
Fans do not push air through a device. They pull the air flow.
So, any idea what the manual is talking about when it warns not the install inverter vertically?

I thought I explained that already.
Maybe I should just ask, what is the proper install orientation for an inverter. I mean there’s six sides to an inverter....what side faces up?
I’ve read through every one of these manuals for this 400 W system and they leave a lot to be desired. Where is Monk’s brother Ambrose when you need him?

Sorry for not understanding. I’ll stick it in there one, and if it fails it fails, I’ll put the next one in a different way. I should get it right eventually. Odds are 1:6.

Maybe I should just ask, what is the proper install orientation for an inverter. I mean there’s six sides to an inverter....what side faces up?
I’ve read through every one of these manuals for this 400 W system and they leave a lot to be desired. Where is Monk’s brother Ambrose when you need him?

From the manual "The inverter should never be mounted vertically on a vertical surface since it would present a hazard for the fan opening which is crucial for cooling the inverter."
Its hinting that some detritus(think metal screw) could fall through the ventilation holes into the unit and cause a short.
So the only thing proscribed is "vertical", and that is doable with a "drip shield".

6 or twenty sides. Fan side NOT up. Drip shield would work. The fans on my Samlex push air through the inverter.

6 or twenty sides. Fan side NOT up. Drip shield would work. The fans on my Samlex push air through the inverter.

Which Samlex do you have.
I'm waiting on my pst-1500-24.

A screen might be a good material for a drip shield, so as not to inhibit air movement.

Had the Renogy manual been clearer, with perhaps a diagram, this thread would have been unnecessary. But, I really do appreciate everyone’s patience with me and the input.

The orientation plays a significant part in my layout and design as I have a limited number of areas in my work van/sometimes getaway camper van, to install. All in all, this thread has forced me through a number of different Designs, and ultimately to one I hadn’t thought about or considered. And, it will be clean, tucked away, safe from work related damage, and functional for both work and play. I couldn’t be happier.

Thank you, to each and everyone who contributed to the success of this project. Or at least on the planning side of things....I will doing the actual install this weekend or next week depending on the arrival time of last minute project materials.

Had the Renogy manual been clearer, with perhaps a diagram, this thread would have been unnecessary. But, I really do appreciate everyone’s patience with me and the input.

The orientation plays a significant part in my layout and design as I have a limited number of areas in my work van/sometimes getaway camper van, to install. All in all, this thread has forced me through a number of different Designs, and ultimately to one I hadn’t thought about or considered. And, it will be clean, tucked away, safe from work related damage, and functional for both work and play. I couldn’t be happier.

Thank you, to each and everyone who contributed to the success of this project. Or at least on the planning side of things....I will doing the actual install this weekend or next week depending on the arrival time of last minute project materials.

So which orientation did you settle on?

So which orientation did you settle on?
I based layout on the summer temperatures of the inside of van, figuring to keep batteries as low, thus as cool, as possible. That puts them on the floor. From there, keeping the 2/0 wire as short as possible, the inverter will be mounted above the batteries in a horizontal orientation, under the lower tool rack shelf with the outlets facing to the back of the van through an access hole that I still need to cut in the metal tool rack.
This will allow easy access through the back doors to a plethora of tool battery charges that will be mounted nearby. I will eventually wire outlets to the front of cargo area for a microwave and other ac devices.
I’m still figuring out locations nearby for mounting controller, monitor, etc., but not stressing over it.

One inverter I dealt with had this in the manual:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 1.29.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 1.29.52 PM.png
    239.9 KB · Views: 110
Back