diy solar

diy solar

Orion jr vs Orion "sr" bms

scott harris

Is there any difference between the Jr and "Sr" versions of the Orion 2 BMS units except for the number of cell voltage taps and thermal sensors? Is the "Sr" version more robust?

Cost and CANBUS channels
Regarding CANBUS channels, is it necessary to have more than one? I thought that as a bus system you could connect many nodes and each device only needs one node. What is the advantage of having more than one?

The Jr was programmed through USB port and Regular had to use one of the CANBUS port and CAN Adapter. I have had both Jr and Regular Orion and found Jr simpler to set up.

I am building two batteries each consisting of 4 strings of sixteen 280 amp hour cells. Each battery will power a Torqeedo cruise 10 outboard motor which will push a 35' trawler. It will be a solar electric boat. Mostly an electric boat, since 80-90% of the electricity will come from shore power.

This is why I am interested in Orion. I need a really reliable BMS. In fact I will need 8 of them.

I saw a posting on ebay for a Orion 1 Jr for $200. Or 6 or $180 each. They are new in the box.

I have ready many of your postings and I think I remember that you are running the original version. Any thoughts about using the original version for less than 1/3 the price?

Also, thanks so much for all the advice you have so generously shared on this forum.

Back