diy solar

diy solar

Oupes 2400 1800, anybody using one...A few ?'s OUT DOOR USE warranty

Moretorque

Here is the thing, I just bought one and I am thinking about getting a few more and here is why. If I am over looking something somebody please tell me.
#1 and it is BIG, they are rated for outdoor use and it does not void the warranty and that is it primarily. # 2 They claim the unit has a 3 year warranty ?
Problems the unit CANNOT be charged with AC while you are using it but it can be charged with a solar array while in use. I wonder why this is? Also you cannot add more power storage to it in the way of more batteries.... Can you use 2 of these as a 240 V unit? I am sure you can? I need something rated for outdoor that is portable and this seems to fit the bill. I would build the Will hand truck units but EG4 TECH told any signs the unit has been subjected to the elements and your warranty is DONE! Thanks for any input.....

Problems the unit CANNOT be charged with AC while you are using it but it can be charged with a solar array while in use.
My understanding is that for most units, the inverter that turns your DC from batteries into AC output is the same thing that charges your batteries, effectively just running in reverse. If I understand correctly, most units simply switch into a bypass mode where AC is feeding your devices while also charging your batteries. If the unit doesn't have a means to switch into bypass, it's not going to be able charge from AC and power your devices.

It could charge from DC because the solar charge controller is simply taking the DC from your panels and using it to charge your batteries.

Also you cannot add more power storage to it in the way of more batteries....
Some companies like EcoFlow sell add-on units, but if this company (seems to be another random Chinese company?) doesn't offer expansion units, you'd have to hack the thing and add your own batteries... Which is your case would be a bad thing, as it would void the warranty, and it sounds like that was a reason you chose this unit. I personally wouldn't trust any of these random Chinese companies that come and go to actually honor a warranty.

Can you use 2 of these as a 240 V unit? I am sure you can?
Depends on the unit, if they don't advertise it, there won't be an easy way to do it. Some companies like EcoFlow sell adapters that can sync two units to give you 240V, as far as I'm aware.

I need something rated for outdoor that is portable and this seems to fit the bill.
Where do they advertise this as being weather rated? To me, I don't even see a GFCI reset. I personally would never trust a device in the elements that isn't explicitly rated as such... Even for outdoor home outlets I always want the "in-use" style that give you better water protection.

In fact, on their website, they even recommend that the solar panels themselves not be used in the rain.

I would build the Will hand truck units but EG4 TECH told any signs the unit has been subjected to the elements and your warranty is DONE!
UL listed devices that can tolerate weather are expensive, comparatively. It constrains the device's design, as you need to ensure you can't have water ingress into the system. Just using something outside in clear, temperate weather is not much different from running it indoors in a climate controlled space. Being "subjected to the elements" typically means extreme heat and cold, along with storm-level water exposure.

I wouldn't trust any AIO cheap power station to be in even light rain, personally.

I talked to the service rep at Oupes and he told me multiple times it is the only unit they warranty for outdoor use, their MEGA series you can add plug in batteries to get more storage but it has no outdoor warranty but the Oupes does. The Oupes has great reviews and the complaint on the unit is you cannot charge AC while you are using it and you can't add more storage to it. I am sure 2 of them can be used in 240 if you know how to do it? Thanks..... It is a cheapy unit but the reviews say the company really stands behind their products? and as stated they stand behind the outdoor use... EG4 told me point blank only their outdoor products will be warrantied if you use them outdoors and if they find out the product was used outdoor they told me twice with 2 different phone calls with different people answering my ?'s the warranty is VOIDED! It sounds like a back door warranty clause to me....

Last edited:
Back