diy solar

diy solar

few questions

corporal_Canada

hello, i am a snobby french Canadian that moved to the Philippines a few months ago...please forgive my engrish
with all this sun... i thought id tap into it... instead of paying 3$ a day to a coal power plant to keep me from sweating more water than our niagara falls (AC)... i found a ahem... 1000 watt solar panel ... it sais 18V.. 100ah....... obviously i will test that with my.. you guessed it.. Chinese multimeter....... simple.. i check volts... then amps.. and i get watts through alien math.... i want to power a 500 watt desktop pc.. an oversized led monitor... a 680watt AC. (condura... a Philippine brand name).. i calculated the AC alone is 16,320 watts total for 24 hour use.....the pc sais 500 watt power supply unit but its a low power pc (amd) so it wont use 500 watts and im quite religious about turning it off when not in use.... and eventually i intend to get a small washing machine and a low power fridge (called REF here)... i found a huge 12v battery that claims 600ah... if im not mistaken.. that is 7200 watts.... so to make sure nothing shuts off i was thinking 3 of those and maybe 4 x000 watt solar panels and i SHOULD be golden... or am i missing something.. i want to link all 3 batteries in series and stay at 12V.. my chinese inverter sais 1000 watts and claims sine wave but i can always upgrade that... to something with a digital readout.....i am also aware of the power surge the AC pulls when the compressor or condensor turns on.. can reach between 700-1000 watts... so.. i know i need a breaker...... maybe 20 amp fuse for the AC alone.... i need ring terminals... ?? gauge cable to link all the 3 batteries.. awg something....i just remember pos to pos on all batteries and neg to neg... and all solar panels (and inverter) to positive of battery #1... and all neg everything to neg of battery #3....... if im missing anything or im misinformed .. i am here to be corrected and learn...

PS forgive the poor punctuation... im Quebecer.. not perfect, but as close as it gets :)
also please tell me what gauge wire i need to link all 3 batteries... and keep in mind, philippines uses 220V

Here's all the information I can presently provide

Attachments

• IMG_20240122_133814_901.jpg
    IMG_20240122_133814_901.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20240122-133907.jpg
    Screenshot_20240122-133907.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20240122-134030.jpg
    Screenshot_20240122-134030.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 24
A 1000 watt solar panel? That's not very common, the picture you posted is says 350 watts, which is common.

If you're trying to figure out what you need then make a diagram with the various components, wires, fuses, etc.

A 1000 watt solar panel? That's not very common, the picture you posted is says 350 watts, which is common.

If you're trying to figure out what you need then make a diagram with the various components, wires, fuses, etc.
Yes I just noticed, thank you for your vigilance, my apologies, this should be the correct one

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240122-134014.jpg
    Screenshot_20240122-134014.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 19
STOP IMMEDIATELY !
Do NOT Buy ANYTHING until you have done some research and understand what you are buying & doing.
Define your "Needs" then your WANTS and dip into "would like" for the end of your project.

For Example:
Batteries in SERIES, increase Voltage, NOT Storage Capacity.
Batteries in PARALLEL increase Storage Capacity but NOT Voltage.
Solar Panels in Series increase the String Voltage, while Strings in Parallel increase the Amps from the Array.

Simple Setup goes as follows:
Solar Panel Array to Fuse/Breaker to Solar Controller.
Solar Controller through a Fuse/Breaker to Battery System,
Battery System to Fuse/Breaker to Inverter/Charger Unit.
Inverter to AC Main Breaker (That handles the max AMPS output by Inverter) to VAC Distribution sub-panel.

We recommend NOT TO EXCEED 250A Draw from Battery System. * Philippines is 220VAC @ 50Hz.
12V@250A = 3000W = 120V/25A or 240V/12.6A
24V@250A = 6000W = 120V/50A or 240V/25A
48V@250A = 12,000W = 120V/100A or 250V/50A
* Uncorrected for losses & inefficiency.

Battery Terminology: (LFP specific)
A battery is a Set of CELLS combined with a BMS (Battery Management System) to make up a single battery pack.
A Battery BANK is a set of Complete Batteries assembled onto a Common DC BUS.
NOTE: Batteries in SERIES (ie 2x 12V to make 24V) is highly NOT RECOMMENDED! Staying "NATIVE VOLTAGE" is best overall. That means 12V Battery for 12V system, 24V Battery for 24V system and so on.

How much power does an LFP Battery have ?
A 12V/100AH Battery has 1280 Watt Hours or 1.28kWh of storage. Most (default) can output 100A for 1 Hour from 100% SOC (State of Charge), They can typically take a max of 50A for 2 hours to charge from 0% SOC fully.
12V/100AH - 1280 Watt Hours or 1.28kWh
24V/100AH - 2560Wh or 2.56kWh
48V/100AH - 5120Wh or 5.12kWh
The most popular sizes available today (Jan-2024) is 100AH, 230AH, 280AH & 300AH

Next, you NEED to know what your power consumption is/will be so that you can generate & store at least that per day & deliver it to your equipment. That includes having the equipment running & delivering that power while you are using it as well. Then you need to figure out how many days of backup storage you want, in case there are no other power sources & no/minimal solar generation sun.
Take your appliances & devices, look at the Voltage & Amps on their labels...
Volts X Amps = WATTS and WATTS Used ÷ VOLTS = AMPS
You can also measure the individual device Watts/Amps by using a Kill-O-Watt type meter
Example: Shop it though, likely better deals.

OPTIONS:
Currently the real movers are the Affordable AIO's (All In Ones) which include the Solar Controller(s), Inverter & Charger in one box. These simplify installation and reduces some of teh extra bits that add up BUT you still need Breakers/Fuses in the appropriate places. Most of these are High Frequency devices and great for electronics & digital tech but not so great with heavy motors like a Fridge, AC Compressor or Well Pumps. Low Frequency (more costly) handle everything including motors etc without issues.

Alternately, a component based system with separate SCC (Solar Charge Controller) and Inverter/Charger unit. These can be more efficient but also requires more "bits & parts" and time to install. A large portion of Off Gridders prefer component based systems because you can turn off & control separate parts as needed and adapt to various situations & conditions.

Hope it helps, Good Luck
okay okay, your upper case letters have my full atention... and apart from.. a desktop pc... a 24 inch led monitor... an AC... a 13watt fan... and a 400 watt water kettle.. i will not b runinng anything else.. as for hertz.. i have little knowledge on the matter...and.. fully plan to purchase a 20 amp breaker because the AC belongs to the landlord , not me... and possibly a breaker to protect my soon to arrive deskto pc... and additionally i will use a surge protector as additional percauion.. there is an AIO from china.. only 190$... but i have very little faith n china lifeopo4... yes i know that lead acid batteries have their own dangers... but they dont burst into flames like lithium..... i just wat to build this solar system on my own and learn at the same time...
and yes, i am aware that a 600AH 12V battery has a 7200 watt capacity, thank you for confirming that

Here's all the information I can presently provide
I would expect all the things you have pictured do not meet any of the claimed specs. If you look closely at the solar panel image you will spot voids and gaps in the electrical individual cell connections. You would be throwing your money away to buy any of that stuff.

If I am not mistaken, the Philippines use 220V, 60Hz. I think there is an informational youtube channel by JF Legaspi, might be useful especially if you know the national language.

Actually I agree that some of the stuff I get from Philippines neighbour is absolute crap, a 300 watt solar panel and a 1000 watt inverter is hooked to my 12v 100ah battery and during daylight hours the inverter losses power,, unless I'm completely doing this wrong, shouldn't the solar panel provide more than the inverter is taking ? 50-70 watts... Yes I'm just using the provided clamps until I can find copper ring terminals, but the battery did let my laptop and a small fan run for over 12hours during non sunny hours, feel free to scotf at the photo

Unl
LFP does NOT blow up or burst into flames... LFP is NOT NCA/NCM or other Lithium Chemistries, it is the SAFEST of them all.
This is a smart forum and we don't take to Bull Hooey Ganda pushed by Chicken Littles backed by Big Oil & Gas Corps.

Hz is the electrical Frequency, for Philippines, if you are buying an inverter etc, you need to ensure it can deliver 220VAC @ 50Hz. Some places like Canada & US use 60Hz Frequency.

WE ALL USE CHINESE LFP HERE ! Very Little Else and 95% of folks have ZERO ISSUES... We do not handle "ganda" and phobics.

You CAN setup an independent system with a small AIO (2000W) and an LFP battery or two, let it manage the solar & batteries. Use the provided Grid Power 220VAC as a "Backup" for the AIO to charge the batteries when Solar / Other can't. A simple MPP ror better a GROWATT AIO is reasonably proceed and requires minimal effort.
As I mentioned earlier, I had a crappy experience with a solar power bank that came out of China, the battery percentage will just drop at the slightest load,, so forgive me if I lost faith in china lifepo, same reason I never touched RCA tv ever again or a Plymouth car, it just takes 1 broken product to turn me off to the entire company

If I am not mistaken, the Philippines use 220V, 60Hz. I think there is an informational youtube channel by JF Legaspi, might be useful especially if you know the national language.
I'm not exactly sure but I believe Philippines has multiple dialects, kinda happens when youve been around for 5000-10,000 years and have been repeatedly invaded by everyone

Yes I just noticed, thank you for your vigilance, my apologies, this should be the correct one
First off
Mabuhay!?
736 pesos for that!?
Sorry to say but that is not a 1000watt panel. The size comparison to that charge controller is likely correct in the photo ito ang tama.

I'm guessing that panel is probably a 5watt fit in your back pocket size especially considering 736php is equivalent to $14 u.s.
I'm new to solar too but I've come to learn what to watch out for on shoppee??, because my wife is filipina, and I like the app?
Ingat po and goodluck

First off
Mabuhay!?
736 pesos for that!?
Sorry to say but that is not a 1000watt panel. The size comparison to that charge controller is likely correct in the photo ito ang tama.

I'm guessing that panel is probably a 5watt fit in your back pocket size especially considering 736php is equivalent to $14 u.s.
I'm new to solar too but I've come to learn what to watch out for on shoppee??, because my wife is filipina, and I like the app?
Ingat po and goodluck
Thank you, and I'm in a spot where Tagalog isn't used so I'm learning bisaya,(Leyte) yes that is shopee, naturally I will test the SP with my crappy multimeter, and if the amps don't measure up, I'll just return it.
I did order a 300 watt solar panel and I tested It in full sun, the numbers gave me roughly 150-200 watts, so I'm beginning to have a little faith in china china

First off
Mabuhay!?
736 pesos for that!?

Ingat po and goodluck
As for the size reference, the charge controller that is from china is actually very small and in shopee it is a slide show, the first slide was a short video of a dude unfolding it, so it is actually 4x that size

Thank you, and I'm in a spot where Tagalog isn't used so I'm learning bisaya,(Leyte) yes that is shopee, naturally I will test the SP with my crappy multimeter, and if the amps don't measure up, I'll just return it.
I did order a 300 watt solar panel and I tested It in full sun, the numbers gave me roughly 150-200 watts, so I'm beginning to have a little faith in china china
Actually I think most solar panels on the market even here in the u.s. come from China, like the well known Trina, and Yingli to name a couple good? brands. But manufacturing standards can vary greatly. Like I said I'm still kinda new to solar but 150-200 is still a measurable output and is actually quite usable. Not sure what you payed for them but it might be a good deal. Even top of the line panels don't give out 100% of their rated output but maybe a handful of times in their entire lifetime.
As for the size reference, the charge controller that is from china is actually very small and in shopee it is a slide show, the first slide was a short video of a dude unfolding it, so it is actually 4x that size
So, 4x the size of your pocket? I am curious to that product on the actual output.I do know that solar tech has evolved a lot but the size footprint that panels take up is still pretty large. For example most panels that put out 200 watts are all going to be similar in size. I think you are in a prime country to utilize solar power with your proximity to china (cost) and the equator (sun) I've often thought that in the future I'd like to set up a solar array in the Philippines due to them factors. You probably could really benefit by having a solar water heater. I never did fully get over the cold showers there lol.. please post your results if you end up getting the "1000 watt" panel. When I use shoppee I generally won't purchase something that doesn't have under 500+reviews. But every seller has to start somewhere🤷‍♂️ I did get a 2tb flash drive from there that was only like $6. It had low # of units sold but turned out to be a good little storage stick. It's luck of the draw I guess what you will really get.

Actually I think most solar panels on the market even here in the u.s. come from China, like the well known Trina, and Yingli to name a couple good? brands. But manufacturing standards can vary greatly. Like I said I'm still kinda new to solar but 150-200 is still a measurable output and is actually quite usable. Not sure what you payed for them but it might be a good deal. Even top of the line panels don't give out 100% of their rated output but maybe a handful of times in their entire lifetime.

So, 4x the size of your pocket? I am curious to that product on the actual output.I do know that solar tech has evolved a lot but the size footprint that panels take up is still pretty large. For example most panels that put out 200 watts are all going to be similar in size. I think you are in a prime country to utilize solar power with your proximity to china (cost) and the equator (sun) I've often thought that in the future I'd like to set up a solar array in the Philippines due to them factors. You probably could really benefit by having a solar water heater. I never did fully get over the cold showers there lol.. please post your results if you end up getting the "1000 watt" panel. When I use shoppee I generally won't purchase something that doesn't have under 500+reviews. But every seller has to start somewhere🤷‍♂️ I did get a 2tb flash drive from there that was only like $6. It had low # of units sold but turned out to be a good little storage stick. It's luck of the draw I guess what you will really get.
Yeah I'm aware of that but my gorgeous dark coloured angel points out what is a scam and what isn't... For example my bavin 64gb microsd only 4$... And it didn't have to be formatted yet... I have another 300 watt SP with a charge controller on the way... maybe and additional 300 watts and a charge controller will let me use my laptop from the Chinese inverter for more than 2 hours , because I was assuming that the solar watts would flow to the inverter and the battery at the same time... I was wrong..and I took the risk of using TikTok shop this time

For Example:
Batteries in SERIES, increase Voltage, NOT Storage Capacity.
Batteries in PARALLEL increase Storage Capacity but NOT Voltage.
Solar Panels in Series increase the String Voltage, while Strings in Parallel increase the Amps from the Array.

I hope I don't offend you ex neighbour but I googled your statement to verify
Y

Yup, but being a veteran myself I'm not very shy when it comes to cold showers in certain countries... And I left the area where I would have the room for a solar water heater,,, I'm familiar with it, they sell very cheap in isreal I believe

But due to a severe cyclone, I had to evacuate that pleasant area and rent a 1 br in the largest city on the island

Back