diy solar

diy solar

few questions about solar power....

Summary, take the wires from your 3 biggest panels and connect the positive wires together in a bundle and the negative wires in a bundle.

Put those into the PWM input. Connect to your battery.

Still need to figure out how to either set your battery type or charge voltages.

Take all of your smaller panels and sell them so you can start saving up for a larger system.
fully intend to, spank you very much...in a perfect world i would leave my pc running 24/7 like i did back in montreal and never concern myself with the electric bill.. (i used to pay 30$cad a month for unlimited electric usage...

if i can do this maybe i will even set something up independant for my petite fridge but these days its as vacant as target store....

Your PWM will handle your 3 largest panles at once.

The smaller panels I am saying to sell are so small any output they will cause you issues if you try to use them. If you choose to hook thrm up against advice you are on your own with them.

this is how they should be.

wires from three biggest panels all hooked to the PWM.

on the output from the positive post of the battery a fuse

on the other end of the fuse has the inverter and the positve out from the PWM.

negative of the battery has the inverter and the negative from the PWM

once you have it hooked up take a picture of the front of the PWM and post it. not a video, just a clear picture. see that all 3 large panels are in full sun.

once you have that posted we are done until you save up 25000p to 30000p and find a local solar shop so you dont get ripped off again

View attachment 210473
small question if you dont mind.. i need fuse between positive of battery and positive of inverter ? how many amps ? and how would a fuse for a solar kit be called ? i dont want to accidntally buy fuse for an AC unit...

thank you....

Sounds like everything is working like it should.

Watch out for hot connections. After things have been running for hours touch your connections. If any are super hot it is either loose or needs to be recrimped.

So your next steps are to save up for a LFP battery, MPPT, and larger panels.

And you need to read up and study the resources pages on basic systems.

See this post for equipment you are saving for

Fuse - order the 80 amp version

Good luck

Last edited:
i
Sounds like everything is working like it should.

Watch out for hot connections. After things have been running for hours touch your connections. If any are super hot it is either loose or needs to be recrimped.

So your next steps are to save up for a LFP battery, MPPT, and larger panels.

And you need to read up and study the resources pages on basic systems.

Good luck
really do appreciate all your help to this point... thank you for helping me save enough money to buy my favourite local chocolate milk

hi, dont know if it is worth mentioning but i tried to put my pc and monitor on the inverter this afternoon and the moniotor remained blank.. i thought the monitor didnt like the inverter so i put that into land power.. no change... same symptoms as the chernobyl looking inverter.... i think not enough power is going to the motherboard to power the graphics display (a 4 pin plug on the motherboard that supplies power to all the outlets in the rear of the tower...)

could the inverter just be crap ???

Gpus don't get the majority of there power from the motherboard. They get it directly from the power supply of the computer in most cases.

The cpu would turn the display on, but the power would be from a secondary cable

and yes the inverter can be crap. first test, unplug everything from the output of the inverter and see if it is hot to touch with no load.

Gpus don't get the majority of there power from the motherboard. They get it directly from the power supply of the computer in most cases.

The cpu would turn the display on, but the power would be from a secondary cable
no gpu... im super cheap, i went with APU only.... i will be using my crappy laptop tomorow.. only.. OR pluf tower directly into inverter and see what explodes :)...

and yes the inverter can be crap. first test, unplug everything from the output of the inverter and see if it is hot to touch with no load.
oh yeah .. it was between warm and hot.. but it sais 1000 watts.. and knowing that China tends to exagerate everything they sell.. im skeptical...

1000w is probably peak for 5 pico seconds. I would guess the operating wattage is 200w.

You never did post a picture of any writing on it. A clear still picture. NO VIDEO! I have a friend who's wife is from china and she works as a translator. If I sent him the picture I bet he would get it translatd to english for me.

pc is currently connected straight to the inverter and monitor to the ups if that makes any sense.. but hey.. i can see stuff now.. wel 3 am.. gotta turn this off before i deplete the battery.. goodnight

JUST the pc tower ran on the battery for 2 hours and screen went dark... i think the battery just needs to get more juice... currently 13.5 volts.. nothing warm...

1000w is probably peak for 5 pico seconds. I would guess the operating wattage is 200w.

You never did post a picture of any writing on it. A clear still picture. NO VIDEO! I have a friend who's wife is from china and she works as a translator. If I sent him the picture I bet he would get it translatd to english for me.
My apologies, I hope this is clear enough, good luck...

also.. PS.. nothing written underneath...

Attachments

• IMG_20240423_031840_065.jpg
    IMG_20240423_031840_065.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 6
had the pc tower plugged into the inverter for the past hour... feels okay.. inverter feels rather warm.... charge controller indicator went from 13v to 12.6v.. so.. bad sign there.. also i ordered a 80 amp fuse.. should arrive within 5-7 days....
my cousin is paying me a visit in mid may from.. UPA.. the united provincesof America.. (inside joke sorry).. so he will bring my beefy gaming laptop.. msi GF65 thinUE.. i believe it draws 130 watts..... i hope this solar powr can keep up....that laptop did cost me 1400$cad so im sketchy about plugging it into their static filled power.. i7 and nvidia 3060.. gives me a hardon just thinking about it...

the power brick on the taptop will filter out the junk fine, but plugging into the inverter should be ok as long as you feel the inverter and see how hot it gets...if it gets to hot to hold your hand on it, unplug something to lower the draw.

I know the anticipation of a game laptop, mine is about 4 years old with an i7 and similar graphics, in that case it has a 190w power brick.

my current desktop is a beast that I built -

Device name The-Beast
Processor 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K 3.00 GHz
Installed RAM 128 GB (128 GB usable)
8 terabytes ssd
asus motherboard - Z790 wifi D4 model
it only has the D4 memory because at the time I built it the D5 wasn't possible to get...stupid covid had the fab shutdown

the power brick on the taptop will filter out the junk fine, but plugging into the inverter should be ok as long as you feel the inverter and see how hot it gets...if it gets to hot to hold your hand on it, unplug something to lower the draw.

I know the anticipation of a game laptop, mine is about 4 years old with an i7 and similar graphics, in that case it has a 190w power brick.

my current desktop is a beast that I built -

Device name The-Beast
Processor 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K 3.00 GHz
Installed RAM 128 GB (128 GB usable)
8 terabytes ssd
asus motherboard - Z790 wifi D4 model
it only has the D4 memory because at the time I built it the D5 wasn't possible to get...stupid covid had the fab shutdown
wow.. wanna trade ?

jusat woke up peaked at the scc and saw the meter was full so i plugged my tower to it... hopefully it will be aqble to stay at full with out and in going...

went out for a fag (smoke) came back and pc went dark.. no activity on monitor.. tried both inverters.... battery meter on the scc shows full.. so im confused...
if i cant power my pc.. maybe i can run my fridge for 24 hours ??? just to see ? i mean yes it is empty but.. something is better than nothing....here we go

fridge didnt last long at all.... using the "1000 watt" inverter....i kept hearing the inverter chirp now and again.. i think the inverter is just poop...... im using the chernobyl looking inverter now.. it occasionally pops a red light that sais overload.... and the fridge pilot light ?? isnt on.... which is weird because i thought this inverter was rated at 300 watts... hell the model name is s-300....and when i used my digital wattometer on my fridge.. it was only pulling 298 watts....
do i need a new inverter ???

rather strange that a computer tower that only uses 100-105 watts cant last longer than 30 minutes this morning

i have another solution.. i have a cheap low power inverter.. but i chopped off the cables... but.. it did only cost me 5$cad.... so im sketchy about plugginbg in my super mega awesome sharkattack uber mecha godzilla computer to it.....

or is the scc GIVING A FALSE reading on the battery state ???

i can take another video of what im dealing with.. but IF the solar panels are giving 200watts minimum.. and the tower is pulling 100-105 watts from the inverter.. confucious say this no make sense...

Last edited:
fridge didnt last long at all.... using the "1000 watt" inverter....i kept hearing the inverter chirp now and again.. i think the inverter is just poop...... im using the chernobyl looking inverter now.. it occasionally pops a red light that sais overload.... and the fridge pilot light ?? isnt on.... which is weird because i thought this inverter was rated at 300 watts... hell the model name is s-300....and when i used my digital wattometer on my fridge.. it was only pulling 298 watts....
do i need a new inverter ???
If your fridge pulls 300 watts steady state, and it's a standard compressor based cheap fridge, you'll need a 1200-1500 watt inverter to reliably start it. Starting surges are considerably higher than steady state.

Back