diy solar

Snowed in and have Shore Power Problems

TheRuby

12v system
Overkill BMS
Victron 100/20 MPPT
MOES Rohs ATS-11KW
Giandell pure sine

I am currently snowed in near pikes peak in Colorado and have found my shore power only works if I cut my batt power off at the inverter. ( no batt heater, vent fans etc)

How do I set it up so that I can run shore power and batt power simultaneously?

Thank you to all in advance!

Last edited:
Do you have a wiring diagram and pictures to share?

Spec sheet or link to that inverter? I thought Overkill only sold BMSs

Typo my apologies, yes overkill is my BMS.
I can’t access my diagram apparently but will get some bad pics for ya.

IMG_0029.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0028.jpeg
    IMG_0028.jpeg
    381.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0030.jpeg
    IMG_0030.jpeg
    350.8 KB · Views: 12
I followed instructions exactly and everything seemed to work great. This is the first time noticing this problem.

If your batteries are cold, they may have disconnected. Cold protection.

It did this right from get go(before batt’s were cold), I cut power at BMS because when I plugged my heater in I noticed a draw from the batt’s instead of shore power.
Doing this allowed me to run off shore power but I don’t know why/how.

Obviously I can’t have an either/or situation going on here for my power source.

Obviously I can’t have an either/or situation going on here for my power source.
Without a wiring diagram, I'm going to say that's exactly how a transfer switch work, either source, not both.

How do these two statements work? They seem to be opposing statements. Either it's always worked fine or it's happened before, not both.
Bold is my emphasis
It did this right from get go(before batt’s were cold), I cut power at BMS because when I plugged my heater in I noticed a draw from the batt’s instead of shore power.
Doing this allowed me to run off shore power but I don’t know why/how.

I followed instructions exactly and everything seemed to work great. This is the first time noticing this problem.

Without a wiring diagram, I'm going to say that's exactly how a transfer switch work, either source, not both.
400 I have to agree with you, after reading I think the system is operating fine in its current state.
Seems perhaps I need another component for it to perform in the manner I first intended.(honestly right now I'm just guessing but thankfully I know the answer is here some where:)
How do these two statements work? They seem to be opposing statements. Either it's always worked fine or it's happened before, not both.
Bold is my emphasis
My apologies for the miscommunication, the two comments were two different references in time(obviously unclear).
It did this right from get go was referencing this week's trip and how as soon as we arrived the ATS/shore power problem reared its head.
This is the first time noticing this problem. Was referring a general time frame comment as this problem never showed itself when I tried to diagnose any problems before taking her out in bad weather. I built this system a year ago?

thankfully will be heading back home Monday where I can study up and figure out what I need to do.

Back