diy solar

diy solar

Outback Skybox SBX5048-120/240

David Harder

Hi, my friend purchased a skybox on eBay for a good price and it marked it was good working condition.
However, it does not have the lower part included.
I tried to help him getting it up running, but I just don’t have any output power, nor does it accept any charge from the solar.
Is there anyway that has the lower part for sale or that could help me get this thing up running?
Please let me know!

I will post some pictures of the inverter itself and the screen.

image.jpg
IMG_2030.jpegIMG_2032.jpegIMG_2035.jpeg

I'll take a wild guess based on the AFCI error pictured. There are only 2 (AC out?) wires, red and black, but no ground. I wonder if the SkyBox detects that there isn't a neutral bond.
Assuming just a battery connected?

Look for Outback Skybox revival story thread.
You need to fool skybox to turn on with a board designed by Sollap

Thanks everyone who participated. I really appreciate it!
I see “sollap” has done huge homework on an Inverter like this. However, I’m not that intelligent to do all of that and I’m afraid I won’t learn so easily. 😃

I found something I believe it’s the lower part for the inverter that’s needed in order to function properly.
I will attach a picture of that in this thread.

Is someone here that knows if that is the missing part for the inverter and that the inverter should function properly if I purchase that and install it?

Attachments

• IMG_2038.jpeg
    IMG_2038.jpeg
    31.6 KB · Views: 1
That's not the bottom of the Skybox. That unit you picked does have an AFCI device in it, but it doesn't communicate with the Skybox in the way needed. This is what the Balance Of System (BOS) looks like for the Skybox -
BOS.jpg
It's nearly as big as the upper portion of the Skybox itself.

Over to the right in it is where the AFCI device is located. It looks like this -
Arc fault sensor wiring.JPG

The blue board is the AFCI device that's needed. It hasn't been made in many years as far as I know, and I haven't been able to find one.
It's made by Sensata, but it's a custom version for Outback. Sensata did not respond to any of my inquiries about it.

It's unlikely that Outback would sell you just the blue board, but it's possible they may sell the entire green PV board that includes the AFCI device. I would expect it to be VERY expensive if they are even willing to sell it as a spare part.

I think your options are to keep looking for a complete BOS, of find someone familiar with electronics that could build the bypass for you.

This video has a good view of the BOS and the P.V. board/AFCI device -

It would be a lot better if you found someone locally. The bypass works perfectly on my Skybox, but I don't know of anyone else using one at this point. It's possible that some tweaking of the device or code may be necessary, and for that reason you're going to want someone close to you to do that.

If I send you one and it doesn't work, you're going to be disappointed and out some money, and I'm going to feel bad. There would be no way for us to resolve the problem without lots of back and forth shipping, which would be a nightmare for both of us.

You might try checking the local schools. Arduino is a popular device and many kids are probably familiar with it. The electronics are very simple and can be done with minimal experience. Another possibility would be looking at Facebook marketplace or some other local sales paper/website for someone advertising homemade electronic devices, repairs, etc.
I can help guide the build, answer questions, etc.

Thank you! I see that can get a nightmare.
I do really appreciate your help very much.

Thanks again for responding!

Back