diy solar

diy solar

Outdoor Mounted Power Inverter

probability

Hello everyone,
I am new to the site and solar power. I'm installing a basic DIY system (100W panel, 2200W inverter, 100Ah batt) on a Gazebo in my back yard and I wanted to ask the group about mounting the inverter outdoors. From what I've researched, the inverter needs to be in a well vented, cool and dry space. Obviously, it will be mounted under a roof and out of the rain but are there any issues with its home being exposed to other elements or should I build housing to cover it (with venting)?
Thank you!

I think it would work fine if you threw it in a box with some vents on it. Depending on how harsh your climate is. I've got my batteries and inverter in a shed for a few years now. Not exactly the same but works great.

What are the inverter's specs for humidity and ambient operating temperature extremes? If your weather exceeds those, it's a no-go. Always, check the specs!

Unless you're not planning on using it much that 100W panel won't give you a lot of power to use.

Thank you! Sparky, I'm just powering a TV, ceiling fan and lights - randomly (on nice nights). Do you think I need another Panel?

It would depend on how long you want to run them and how much time the battery would have to charge. If you're out there for an hour or two once or twice a week it may be fine to trickle that battery back up. If you're out there for several hours every day it won't cut it.

Figure out how much power everything will take to run and how long you'd run on average. That would tell you how big of a battery you need. You say out there randomly - if it is possible or likely it could be multiple nights in a row you'd need enough panels to recharge fully during a single day.

A wildhat rule I use is 200W solar panels works ok for 100Ah usable battery storage. But there is no ‘rule;’ your Wh usage determines actual power needs.

People use inverters and SCCs in boats fwiw

Back