diy solar

diy solar

Over amping solar charge controller?

Hey Thanks but I just went there and the calculator only goes up to 24 volt panels , mine are 48 volt I believe ( tag reads 305 watts - Vmp 54.7 -Imp 5.58 - Open circuit Voc 64.2- Isc short circuit 5.96 )

but what concerns me is the amps that I am seeing at the SCC , they are over 30 amps all ready with only 300+ watts output. What's going to happen when I get up over 500 watt's of output.
Do I need to hook these panels up in parallel to avoid exceeding the 40 amp capacity of the SCC

DO NOT PUT THEM IN PARALLEL, that would INCREASE the amps

Hey Thanks but I just went there and the calculator only goes up to 24 volt panels , mine are 48 volt I believe ( tag reads 305 watts - Vmp 54.7 -Imp 5.58 - Open circuit Voc 64.2- Isc short circuit 5.96 )
Those are for the presets, click the button that says "Custom Module" and then you can input all your info. I assume it will spit out that you need a 150v/45amp model, but double check to make sure.

Last edited:
Victron (highly recommended equipment) has a calculator on their website where you can input all of the stats from you solar panels and it will tell you what charge controllers will work best with them.

https://www.victronenergy.com/mppt-calculator

Those are for the presets, click the bottom that says "Custom Module" and then you can input all your info. I assume it will spit out that you need a 150v/45amp model, but double check to make sure.
Ohhh ok thanks

Those are for the presets, click the button that says "Custom Module" and then you can input all your info. I assume it will spit out that you need a 150v/45amp model, but double check to make sure.
So they recommended the victron SmartSolar MPPT 150/45 MC4 or BlueSolar MPPT 150/45 MC4 which are 45 amp 150 volt SCCs the Epever was a 40 amp 150 volt SCC do you think that 5 amp difference is what did in the Epever or is it just a piece of crap ?

From what you wrote and the stats on your panels, nothing jumps out to me personally as a reason why it stopped working. If you are looking to save money, I would reach out to Epever first to see if they can be of some assistance in troubleshooting the problem with your current SCC. It's worth a try at least.

info@epsolarpv.com

Last edited:
I will try that , what a bummer its been working great till this morning then nothing no display or nothing.

I will try that , what a bummer its been working great till this morning then nothing no display or nothing.

One thing I always do when something like that happens is to unhook it all, then start over and reinstall it.
Updated my above post, but in case you missed it here is their contact info:
Email: info@epsolarpv.com
Tel: +86-10-82894112 / 82894962

Thank you , I am chatting with Amazon right now and they are going to send a link to epever so I can try to work it out with them and if they don't do the right thing Amazon will step in.

Reactions: GMB
Is the epever internally fused on either the solar input or battery output - you may just have a blown fuse.

My little victron 20A one has an automotive blade fuse next to the battery inputs. Rated at 25A.

Is the epever internally fused on either the solar input or battery output - you may just have a blown fuse.

My little victron 20A one has an automotive blade fuse next to the battery inputs. Rated at 25A.
I don't think it's internally fused because I returned it under warranty and they checked it out and said that they were going to ship me a new one instead of fixing it.
I don't have fuses between all my components, I have breakers and I reset all of them first before I returned the unit.

Back