diy solar

diy solar

Over paneling - dumping excess power

mvonw

Solar Addict
I have a Bluetti AC200p and was wondering if I could over panel this with 8-100 Watt panels. Given the AC200p has in input limit of 150volts, is there a way to regulate the voltage from the panels so that it never over-volts the unit (dump the excess voltage when necessary). The idea is that 8 panels would never typically be producing full 100 watts, and I just wanted to get the maximum on overcast days.

Does this even make sense?

From a quick read, the AC200p has A 700w max solar input. You should be fine with your 8 100W panels as long as you make sure you don't go over the 150V (taking temperature coefficient in mind, make that 120V or so) per string. You do this by putting series strings of panels in parallel.

We would need to know the open circuit voltage of your panels before assisting further.

2 strings of 4 panels.

That's ~90 volts and you are safe from low temperature voltage concerns.

8 in series is 180 volts, so that's out.

Perhaps someone else with experience using that controller can speak to its ability to be more over paneled.

The panels are rated at 5 amps optimum output and the bluetti has a maximum amp of 12amp, so I would assume that the 4 panels in series paralleled with another 4 in series would work??

4x 5 amp panels in series are still 5 amps.

So with 2 strings in parallel you get 10 amps.

And then you're good to go.

Back