diy solar

diy solar

Overkill Solar Balance Leads

so if im able to verify using the multi meter that each wire is at 3.45 volts then that proves it’s not the crimps yes ?
With respect to each other at the plug end , yes . But not with respect to -ve . Starting from 1st cell +ve , voltage should be 3,45 and then increase by that amount for each balance wire in succession. Seems like your -ve wire at the plug end is not connected.

Good idea to solder these thinner wires , then heatshrink.
Morning but if im able to verify using the multi meter that each wire is at 3.45 volts then that proves it’s not the crimps yes ?
With respect to each other at the plug end , yes . But not with respect to -ve . Starting from 1st cell +ve , voltage should be 3,45 and then increase by that amount for each balance wire in succession. Seems like your -ve wire at the plug end is not connected.
It did increase as you’re describing, I also tested each wire individually by moving the negative over with each balance wire , if I keep the negative lead on the black and move over it increases , if I move the negative wire in succession it stays at 3.45 , pls confirm if this rules out any problem with a crimp

Correct, your crimps and wiring are correct. Contact Overkill they are very helpful

so if im able to verify using the multi meter that each wire is at 3.45 volts then that proves it’s not the crimps yes ?
If you walked the connector end and got the expected voltages then the crimps are good.
You should contact support about that error.

Unfortunately having a really hard time dealing with overkill solar, my BMS was faulty, initially it took him 4 days to reply, finally he said he will
Ship me another one, it’s been almost two weeks and I don’t have it yet. I moved into my camper full time and now I’m without battery power because of this, emailed again twice in the last two days, no reply. Really need some help. I thought this guy was highly recommended by will
@OverkillSolar
@Will Prowse

Last edited:
I have been patient and this is affecting my life in a big way.
Did you walk the pins on the connector end of the leads?
Did the measured voltages agree with voltages at the terminals?
If yes do they agree with the voltage the bms reports?

Did you walk the pins on the connector end of the leads?
Did the measured voltages agree with voltages at the terminals?
If yes do they agree with the voltage the bms reports?
I did , he already provided me with a new order number but have not received

@smoothJoey we have already determined the BMS is faulty, that’s not what we’re discussing anymore. That’s been covered in this thread. The issue here is the delivery of the new BMS

My future solution to the ring terminal size issue is that I'm going to use whatever size ring terminal makes sense for the wire, then drill a hole in my battery bus bars for the ring terminal to attach to.
what about the end ones (final pos and neg)

My future solution to the ring terminal size issue is that I'm going to use whatever size ring terminal makes sense for the wire, then drill a hole in my battery bus bars for the ring terminal to attach to.
How much will that affect the ampacity of the bus bars?

Back