diy solar

diy solar

Overkill Solar BMS Concern

RVHauler

Hi folks,

Got my 4S 120A 12V BMS, and upon inspection it appears the center of the three main cables on both sides aren't really soldered to anything? I mean, there's no conductor on the circuit board at those locations, photos of both sides provided for inspection.
Am I wrong, if so how do those cables provide any benefit?

Attachments

• IMG_20210509_075234152.jpg
    IMG_20210509_075234152.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20210509_075243094.jpg
    IMG_20210509_075243094.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 40
i wouldn't worry about it overkill customer service is the best and will take back any board if there's a problem besides those soldered connections are soldered each side of the board and shouldn't be a problem

You are misjudging based on the size of the solder mask, which is the translucent green layer. If the solder mask wasn't there, you would be able to see that the entire rectangle cutout of each side is 1 big electrical trace on the PCB. Also, note the grid of small circles around all wire openings - these are vias electrically connecting both sides of the board together.

The outer holes have a large square that is not masked, because some applications utilize a screw terminal base. Yes, In comparison to the outer wire holes, the center holes have a relatively small unmasked area, but this is normal and in scale with the size of smaller thru-hole pads.

I have 12V and 48V Overkill Solar BMS units, and they both tested with very low resistance between wires.

It's a multi layer circuit board.

This is the right answer.
thumb_up.gif

Hi folks,

Got my 4S 120A 12V BMS, and upon inspection it appears the center of the three main cables on both sides aren't really soldered to anything? I mean, there's no conductor on the circuit board at those locations, photos of both sides provided for inspection.
Am I wrong, if so how do those cables provide any benefit?
It's attached through the inside of the board :)?

Doesn't it look weird though??? There's solid copper inside to conduct. ☮️ hope this helps

like this ?
1620595230073.png

Thanks everyone, my electronics knowledge is still based in the 80s/90s, this is "new" technology to me and I understand now.
Can't wait for my cells to finish initial top balance/charging so I can complete assembly and start to use the battery.
So grateful to all for your guidance!

Back