diy solar

diy solar

Overpaneling ecoflow safety question.

aussiesam

I recently acquired an Ecoflow River 2 pro and paired it with a used 250watt panel. Specs are great together, but the output has been lacking. Since this unit has a 768 watt battery and only takes in 220 watts max, it takes a while to charge and I'm only hitting 200+ for about 1-2 hours a day.

I've seen a 405 watt JA solar panel on sale and have been wondering if I should buy it. The Issue with this panel is that while the voltage is within the 12-50V range that the River 2 pro can handle, the short circuit current is a bit over at 13.87A vs River 2 Pro max of 13 Amps. Max power current is stated as 12.98 A..

-Picture attached shows panel specs (unfortunately a bit blurry)
-also would like to add that the river 2 pro seems to limit current to 8A regardless of its stated limit of 13A.

The panel will never be in temperatures below 70F, so cold temps aren't an issue. My question is, would this be a good solution to hit the max PV input for more hours in a day or could that tiny current over the allowed maximum damage the river 2 pro?

Attachments

• jasolar405.jpeg
    jasolar405.jpeg
    297.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Being over the current limit is not an issue when it comes to damage - only being over the voltage limit would damage the charge controller. The river 2 pro will simply pull the amps that it is able to. Remember - volts are pushed by the panel whereas amps are pulled by the charge controller.

I would be careful getting anywhere close to the 50 volt limit on that unit as several people have reported frying the controller.

Back