diy solar

diy solar

Overpanelling up to 700 watts fine for tracer bn 4215? Also explainer on what makes it worthwhile

Also remember to keep it a good bit short of the max voltage to cover the flare up in voltage from cold weather. The specs on the panels max voltage are what it puts out in warm weather. Add 16% to the voltage the panels specs say to account for freezing temps to be safe. Your not losing anything since you will be paralleling them with the other panels.

It's backwards. Colder temperatures cause higher voltages. Using estimated values, 6S of those panels would exceed 150V at 10°C. I would limit them to 5S.

Per above, when you parallel them, the voltage does not add.

When building an array, it's important that all strings in parallel have the same Vmp, so you can't put a string of 3 in parallel with a string of 4.
You go in series till just under the max voltage and then do that over and over with the remaining panels in parallel.

Example.
100w+100w+100watt+100watt > 100w+100w+100watt+100watt > 100w+100w+100watt+100watt etc.
So your making a 400watt panel out of 4 of them and then you hook that 4 panel "pack" to the next 4 panel "pack".
Thanks making more sense now!

Epever were telling me I could go to 6 but maybe they

I have not investigated parrallel arrays yet. I thought that parrallel setups mean you end up with higher voltage system total is that true or not always/not in this case? I admit I know next to nothing about it but I remember youtube videos when people were doing videos on parralell panelling it was usually for systems that ended up higher than 12v.

So can I still keep it 12v or no?

So if doing that I could only do 2x 3? I can't fit 4 x 4 so that would be moot.

Ah epever's reply making more sense given the above data for yalls replies

Oh, if it is 12V, the rated power can not exceed 520W. Voc and Isc limit is same.

You can purchase 6 pcs 100W solar panels and connect them 6 parallel or 2 series 3 parallel.

Still have to re read to digest the data.

It's backwards. Colder temperatures cause higher voltages. Using estimated values, 6S of those panels would exceed 150V at 10°C. I would limit them to 5S.

Per above, when you parallel them, the voltage does not add.

When building an array, it's important that all strings in parallel have the same Vmp, so you can't put a string of 3 in parallel with a string of 4.
You go in series till just under the max voltage and then do that over and over with the remaining panels in parallel.

Example.
100w+100w+100watt+100watt > 100w+100w+100watt+100watt > 100w+100w+100watt+100watt etc.
So your making a 400watt panel out of 4 of them and then you hook that 4 panel "pack" to the next 4 panel "pack".
Thanks making more sense now!

Epever were telling me I could go to 6 but maybe they

I have not investigated parrallel arrays yet. I thought that parrallel setups mean you end up with higher voltage system total is that true or not always/not in this case? I admit I know next to nothing about it but I remember youtube videos when people were doing videos on parralell panelling it was usually for systems that ended up higher than 12v.

Ah epever's reply making more sense given the above data for yalls replies

Oh, if it is 12V, the rated power can not exceed 520W. Voc and Isc limit is same.

You can purchase 6 pcs 100W solar panels and connect them 6 parallel or 2 series 3 parallel.
Also what is lsc they are referring to here?

Don't waste your money on them crappy 100w Renogy panels, they don't last very long, and for the price of them you could buy nearly 2 new 420w type N half-cut cell panels, which work much better, and will still work when it's darker overcast etc, they are only £67 each if you don't pay vat and £81 if you do, even if you need them small flexi Renogy type panels you can find them for around half the price, I have seen the same ones on eBay for £40 each, but I would just buy full-sized panels if, for your home, one of the best places in the UK is "solartradesales.co.uk"

Edit, You asked: "parrallel setups mean you end up with higher voltage" Paralleling panels will increase amperage, and putting panels in series will increase the voltage.

https://www.solartradesales.co.uk/astronergy-n-type-monofacial-solar-panel-420w-all-black?cat=9869

Last edited:

Why are you asking this question? The manual clearly states the capabilities of a 12V system.

It's not clear what you're asking, but if it's parallel arrays, already answered:

If you're talking about 2S3P, i.e., 3X strings of 2S panels in parallel, that's fine.

Also what is lsc they are referring to here?

Short circuit current. another parameter on the panel label and/or datasheet. If you touch the panel leads together, it's the amount of current that flows at 0V.

Back