diy solar

diy solar

Overthinking it: When is it "safe" to use under rated connectors?

SparkyGage

Well this past winter I started a sailboat project, both in terms of cleaning up an old boat and powering it by battery. To be clear I am in no way anti-ICE, I'm just not a fan of outboards and my girlfriend (sometimes referred to as my wife) had ZERO experience with boats before I bought this one last winter. I don't have room for a generator and outboards are a hassle if you don't use them regularly (I'm lucky if I can get out more than twice a month.)

THE ISSUE: I haul the battery back and forth so I can use it at home as part of my backup and shed power. I've been screwing the connectors to the trolling motor on/off this summer on the boat and using alligator clips at the house to charge and discharge. I bought quick disconnects (forklift style) to save wear and tear on the terminals but realized they were only rated for 50A, but at 600V. I also have an XT60 connector that I intend to leave connected so that I can plug in my AC charger and my EccoFlow River2 to use as a booster battery, both of which use XT60.

MY THOUGHT: My safety-first instinct and forklift experience is telling my this is a 100A capable battery and I should only be using cable and connections rated in excess of that. But my reasoning is saying I'm not connecting anything that will use more that 48A (the trolling motor) and I'm using 50A fuses on those circuits. The EccoFlow wont pull more than the XT60 can handle.

This is my first experience with higher DC voltage except with UPS systems and forklifts (and I didn't design those systems - I just use and maintain them).
  • So, if I'm fusing everything, know the worst case loads are less than what the fuses, wires and connectors are rated for, and pretty much make sure I can't connect more than 50A loads through these connectors, I should be good?
  • Is there some issue with having two different quick connects mounted as long as they can't be used simultaneously?
Fire away so I don't set my boat or shed on fire.

As long as you are fused for excess, and your use stays within he rating of the connection, you should be fine.

Back