diy solar

diy solar

Butt splice connectors to extend INDOOR PV wire....Why not?

I bet very few do it this way
Well, its the right way. PV wire is rated to be in the open air from the panels to the combiner box or other enclosure. It is UV resistant. As such, it costs more per foot than THHN/THWN/MTW which are not rated for UV exposure. As for fusing and breakers and disconnect and lightening arrestor and grounding, those are all good practices to meet codes and for longevity.

Well, its the right way. PV wire is rated to be in the open air from the panels to the combiner box or other enclosure. It is UV resistant. As such, it costs more per foot than THHN/THWN/MTW which are not rated for UV exposure. As for fusing and breakers and disconnect and lightening arrestor and grounding, those are all good practices to meet codes and for longevity.
I do agree with you

I think the main take away forum users should be getting by reading posts and receiving advice and help here is to remember that the primary goal of having a PV system is to build it and then forget about it. If you keep having to service it, tweak it, make repairs, redo connections, add more panels and arrays, make new trenches and connections, etc it just becomes a labor of hate rather than the completion of an enjoyable useful project.

Get it done, but build it one way, the right way using best practices and professional technique.

And please, forget wooden mounts. Just get some 2 inch schedule 40 galvanized pipe, it cuts like butter with portable band saws, lasts forever and provides the strength and rigidity that panels need to avoid a mount that doesn't contract and expand with the weather.

I think the main take away forum users should be getting by reading posts and receiving advice and help here is to remember that the primary goal of having a PV system is to build it and then forget about it. If you keep having to service it, tweak it, make repairs, redo connections, add more panels and arrays, make new trenches and connections, etc it just becomes a labor of hate rather than the completion of an enjoyable useful project.

Get it done, but build it one way, the right way using best practices and professional technique.

And please, forget wooden mounts. Just get some 2 inch schedule 40 galvanized pipe, it cuts like butter with portable band saws, lasts forever and provides the strength and rigidity that panels need to avoid a mount that doesn't contract and expand with the weather.
For some of us we enjoy tweaking it, changing things around, adding more panels, creating new arrays and just trying things out. Good practices and proper connecting is always a good idea.

Nothing wrong with a wood mount. It may not be a forever method but it works and for some of us that is sufficient.

So I would say what a Forum reader should take away is understand the science and enjoy the process. We all don't have the same end goal in mind.

Back