diy solar

diy solar

Panel layout tool?

wpns

Solar Joules are catch and release
I'm looking to add some solar panels to the roof of my 'garage', which has sections mostly facing east and west:

DJI_0533.jpeg
(Yes, pressure washing and painting is first!)

So I'm looking to see what my options are. I can do it manually (while the roof sections are trapezoidal, the 'square' pieces are 354x158 inches, approximately, and there's the vent pipe to deal with if I start extending past the square section).

Is there a standard inter-panel spacing that I should use that'll work with most racking systems? My existing array has about an inch between panels in the 'clamping' (wide) side, and a fraction of a inch between panels on the top/bottom (short) side, so I'm assuming one inch between panels in one dimension and not much in the other.

Is there a standard panel size? My Good Friend Google says there is, but then when I drill down to the details of any particular panel I'm looking at, they are all a little different, and I'd hate to specify an array size and be a couple of inches short when I go to clamp the panels onto the rails.

Does portrait versus landscape make any difference?

Is there a tool that'll take the size of my roof and help me design the array?

Thanks!

Renvu has a good easy tool also that I have been using a lot for diy install. You can input the actual panel and tool populates the values or simply change the panel dimensions. YOu would have to measure your roof. My roof is all hips like yours and that makes it a bit more challenging if youre trying to maximize number of panels. And need to include Fire Department setbacks. Their is not a standard panel size.

For detailed rail design, you can use ironridge or Unirac. The open solar will give you approximate layout, setbacks, monthly and yearly production values which is nice.

Back