diy solar

diy solar

Unistrut panel mounting without gaps?

justinm001

Solar Addict
I have a few solar projects I'm planning on starting and was planning on using unistruts/superstruts but the brackets all seem to have a couple inch gap for the screw then just clamp the panels down which doesn't seem ideal. Is there some mounts that'll secure from the bottom of the panel and I can just slide them into the unistruts and then clamp the ends of the struts? OR something else that'll allow me to secure one side of the panel on the bottom then slide the next one on and secure that?

On a roof where's its steep angles i'm worried the panels could slide down from the brackets over time. Also not sure how a shingle roof would look if I were to remove the panels after a couple years and lines from sun wear.

On my RV and trailer every inch matters, plus I can seal between the panels then it'll create an additional air pocket to help keep heat off the roof. On my RV they'll be above the AC units so a nice 12" air pocket underneath. Plus it gives me additional leak protections since rain shouldn't be hitting the roof.

the last thing I would want is a wing of solar panels 12" off the top of my roof on an RV. That is a recipe for disaster.

As for bottom mount, I passed bolts through the mounting holes in the frames and threaded those into track nuts in the unistrut. however I could access the bottom of my panels as they are ground mount. I am not aware of anything solution provides zero gap and mounts from the top.

the last thing I would want is a wing of solar panels 12" off the top of my roof on an RV. That is a recipe for disaster.

As for bottom mount, I passed bolts through the mounting holes in the frames and threaded those into track nuts in the unistrut. however I could access the bottom of my panels as they are ground mount. I am not aware of anything solution provides zero gap and mounts from the top.

Works great just need to redo with larger panels and fillout other half

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231218_120339_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20231218_120339_Photos.jpg
    535.7 KB · Views: 55
How about using 8020 Aluminum instead of strut?
Loads of options for mounting, super strong and never rusts.

Depending on the panel they tend to want to be fixed from the sides, although a mount from top to bottom may be possible its not very common. Standard aluminium solar panel clamps are more than adequate, they are somewhat ribbed and when tightened down, they don't move, no matter what.

This is how I mounted mine with Unistrut.

Attachments

• IMG_20231206_154954_252.jpg
    IMG_20231206_154954_252.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20231206_155624_395.jpg
    IMG_20231206_155624_395.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 61
8020 is expensive I thought. I plan on 4 rows of panels 100ft+ long. Even for my RV which is 2 rows under 40ft it was much more.

Depending on the panel they tend to want to be fixed from the sides, although a mount from top to bottom may be possible its not very common. Standard aluminium solar panel clamps are more than adequate, they are somewhat ribbed and when tightened down, they don't move, no matter what.

Yes I started with those on my cargo trailer and they are pretty tight. Just worried about them being 30ft+ in the air on the roof where the building is much higher than others nearby. Also it's surrounded by mountains on 3 sides so not too sure how wind gusts work. If over time they loosen a bit and one falls it could cause a lot of issues.

Agreed, just use the clamps.
The gaps aren't that bad, I would find something a bit narrower next time.
Here's what I used for my ground mount array. Worked great, my only complaint is the width of the mid clamps. I'd find narrower ones next time.

I picked up stainless 1/4-20 bolts from the local Amish supply store.

1/4"-20 Cone Nuts, Strut Channel Nuts with Zinc Electroplate Finish, Twirl Nuts for Use with Strut Channel (10 Pack) (1/4"-20) https://a.co/d/eHkgdPf

The included clamp nuts don't work with standard strut, that's why I bought the cone nuts above.
Solar Panel Mid Clamps 1.06 Inch Solar Panel Bracket Aluminum Solar Mid Clam with Solar Mounting Brackets 32-50 mm Panel Clamps Adjustable End Clamps Panel Clamps (56 Pieces) https://a.co/d/eK48elg

Attachments

• img_thermal_1702741839148.jpg
    img_thermal_1702741839148.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20231216_074301.jpg
    IMG_20231216_074301.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 28
all the crappy solar mounting things are more expensive than unistruts and they're galvanized steel and probably 50 times stronger lmao
I can't believe how expensive solar mounting systems are. It's absolutely insane.

8020 is expensive I thought. I plan on 4 rows of panels 100ft+ long. Even for my RV which is 2 rows under 40ft it was much more.
Here's what I use:

The smaller version of unistrut, also buy in bulk you save a lot of money

screws (stainless steel) as they're not that expensive but it's probably the weakest point
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08JCK96CN (not sure on your screw height since you're underneath the panels)

unistrut t nut things

bracket

This would have a gap though. As far as I read the gap is good for air flow to keep the panels cooler so I went with a gap
are you willing to drill a hole in the panels? You can put an L bracket inside of them then just screw into the t nut that way. Way easier.
I think you can go with some internal clamp thing if not

Looks good. pretty much identical to what I've been coming up with last few weeks. Brackets look the same

all the crappy solar mounting things are more expensive than unistruts and they're galvanized steel and probably 50 times stronger lmao
I can't believe how expensive solar mounting systems are. It's absolutely insane.

Here's what I use:

The smaller version of unistrut, also buy in bulk you save a lot of money

screws (stainless steel) as they're not that expensive but it's probably the weakest point
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08JCK96CN (not sure on your screw height since you're underneath the panels)

unistrut t nut things

bracket

This would have a gap though. As far as I read the gap is good for air flow to keep the panels cooler so I went with a gap
are you willing to drill a hole in the panels? You can put an L bracket inside of them then just screw into the t nut that way. Way easier.
I think you can go with some internal clamp thing if not

Looks good. pretty much identical to what I've been coming up with last few weeks. Brackets look the same
Price dependent on location I guess. I don't see a massive difference here between uni and ally solar mount. I guess uni still comes in a little cheaper, I just happened to have a lot of it. I do think it offers more structural stability too though, which is why I used it on my ground mount, obviously something to mount the panels but also something to give the frame some good strong structure.

Price dependent on location I guess. I don't see a massive difference here between uni and ally solar mount. I guess uni still comes in a little cheaper, I just happened to have a lot of it. I do think it offers more structural stability too though, which is why I used it on my ground mount, obviously something to mount the panels but also something to give the frame some good strong structure.
The ones you have are $35/ea (10+ at a time ~$31) the ones I have (if you buy 10 at a time) are $25. I looked through dozens of designs, other than wood nothing comes out cheaper... but if I built with wood I'd overbuild so it'd actually end up more expensive lol
I wouldn't skimp on the stability/strength which is another bonus, it's definitely stronger.

The ones you have are $35/ea (10+ at a time ~$31) the ones I have (if you buy 10 at a time) are $25. I looked through dozens of designs, other than wood nothing comes out cheaper... but if I built with wood I'd overbuild so it'd actually end up more expensive lol
I wouldn't skimp on the stability/strength which is another bonus, it's definitely stronger.
Here I'm paying around £13 ($15) for a 3m 10ft length of the stuff I'm using, but it's 90% leftover stuff most of the time. I wouldn't even waste my time with wood with how long the pressure treated stuff lasts nowerdays.

Here I'm paying around £13 ($15) for a 3m 10ft length of the stuff I'm using, but it's 90% leftover stuff most of the time. I wouldn't even waste my time with wood with how long the pressure treated stuff lasts nowerdays.
damn I want your prices wtf
I got a ton of steel poles I'm gonna use too, found them in the trash! score

Yea I noticed that too. I'm no wood expert but it seems to cost about the same as metal and not last. I only use around garden stuff and untreated
Do we need more TAR AND CHEMICALS?

Even with bottom bolting, I've always left a gap maybe 1/8" between panels.
I don't want flexing of the rails to cause compression of panel glass edge to edge.

Sometimes you can get SolarMount rails from Unirac or Iron Ridge cheaper, someone liquidating leftovers. I do like using the mounts that were designed for panels.

I have used unistrut on a roof, bolting through holes in panels to slot nuts.
Unistrut sells panel top clamps.

This is how I was thinking of installing them but a bunch. Although I don't think this will work on an RV because it's all relying on the end clamps to hold them in place and any spacing will slide all the panels to each end every time I stop then go... although it would make roof/AC maintenance a breeze as I can just remove a couple panels at the end then hop in the middle and slide the panels over to make a pocket.

I wouldn't trust that on an RV. Too much vibration.
If the plastic part breaks out. The metal part can turn 90 degrees and the panel will go flying.

Ecoworthy has these unistrut sets for under $100 on sale often. The latest sale just ended. They usually have a 15-20% off coupon on top of this 'sale' price

Last edited:
Back