diy solar

diy solar

Panels on a shed

donb108

Once again, still working on my shed project.

This is a small, off-grid, EG-4 3K system. I plan to have roof and wall mounted panels, which I've already purchased from Santan Solar. While checking into racking, one of the vendors mentioned that panels needed to be a minimum of three feet from the roofs edge.

However, I've seen lots of youtube's showing similar projects, and spacing about the same as mine. And, this is an unoccupied structure that isn't connected to the house. Is the three foot thing real, and if so, does it apply to this kind of project?

Attachments

• Shed south wall.png
    Shed south wall.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Shed Roof.png
    Shed Roof.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20240131_125911_274-a.jpg
    IMG_20240131_125911_274-a.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20240119_133703_168-a.jpg
    IMG_20240119_133703_168-a.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20240119_133650_062-a.jpg
    IMG_20240119_133650_062-a.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 27
Will it be inspected by someone other than yourself?
Maybe. I hadn't planned to apply for a permit, but now I'm considering it. The panels will be pointed south, completely out of view from anyone in my neighborhood, or the HOA (they have lots of rules), so I won't get any comments from them.

However, directly behind my property is an access road that the parish uses all the time for maintenance; they'll notice it. Actually, I'm OK with buying a permit, it may help if I get an HOA visitor.

The more I hear about the project, the more the chances of success decrease.

Confirm your HOA rules.
Check to see if your state prevents HOA from unreasonable PV system restrictions.
Find out the permitting requirements.

HOA that could kill the project right there.
Yep, sure could. But this one usually doesn't get involved unless someone complains.

Confirm your HOA rules.
There's nothing in the covanents about solar, just general construction guidelines, and, the guidelines are vauge. The concensus in the neighborhood is don't-ask-don't-tell.

Check to see if your state prevents HOA from unreasonable PV system restrictions.
Don't know where to look, but I'll do some google research.

Find out the permitting requirements.
I contacted the permit department; they seem to be treating it like any other electrical project. The premit application asks for the contractors name and some details about the project, and then it goes to "Central Planning". It may be worth getting a package from Greenlancer, but first, I'll ask around for suggestions.

Maybe. I hadn't planned to apply for a permit, but now I'm considering it. The panels will be pointed south, completely out of view from anyone in my neighborhood, or the HOA (they have lots of rules), so I won't get any comments from them.

However, directly behind my property is an access road that the parish uses all the time for maintenance; they'll notice it. Actually, I'm OK with buying a permit, it may help if I get an HOA visitor.
I wouldnt suggest doing what I propose , , but in my minds eye , I say you need to buy a plain wooden boat oar ..
cut it off to fit your size and swing …and the first time any of the nosey HOA creeps come snooping around asking questions …go get your paddle and spank their ass untill they squeal like a little piggy … and chase em down the street swatting em…you will be a hero in the neighborhood…

I know ….I know…..ya can’t do that nowdays…

ya can’t do nothing fun or exciting no more…

it’s a sad world that has evolved….

J.

In my county a shed with an interior floor space of 200sq/ft or less does not need a permit unless it has grid power
That then gets tricky if/when they see panels on the roof, they know there’s some form of power.
I seem to never learn and go against the grain of authority so I’d just go to town building, but that may not be the wisest route either

Yep, regulations are a pain in the butt. In Italy you cant even put a wooden cartport on your property without jumping through hoops.
You better check what the law says, idk where you live but in here you can get a salty fine.

I checked with a friend that does generator installs. For generators, he gets a permit for every job, but says not to bother in this case (stand-alone, not connected to home, off-grid). He also offered to file on my behafe if I decided I need one.

Back