diy solar

diy solar

Panels required?

LVLAaron

Looking at the EG4 3000EHV-48

Am I reading this correctly, that I'll need an array with at least a 120v open circuit voltage?

1696207678908.png

For the low end of the voltage range you need to consider Vmp(Voltage at maximum power point) adjusted for the warmest panel temperature, for the array to be above 120 volts, to make sure the MPPT will start reliably.

Open circuit voltage, adjusted for for the coldest temperature, for the array needs to be kept under the 500 volt limit of the inverter.

Yup. The one down side of high voltage MPPT's is there is a pretty high bar to getting enough voltage to start the thing.

For any basic 60-cell panel you're looking at 3s absolute minimum, 4s plus reliably if clouds are a thing.

Just to be clear, I don't think the answer is yes if you are talking about the Voc. It's the Vmp that must be at least 120V for the unit to function properly. That would be at least four 60-cell panels wired in series to get 120Vmp.

What happens on a really hot summer day is a grey area. At high temperature, the panel string might go below 120V? Don't know what exactly would happen, but the voltage will go down as the temperature goes up.

Back