diy solar

diy solar

Panels will not produce enough

iRomeo

Hi guys!

I just move some panels to a new location and when connecting them back to the inverter, I am not getting a much power as I used to.
I have 7 canadian solar 375w which after (re)installation I can measure 240v (both with multimeter and inverter, which is a Victron) but I only get 5-6ish amps and ~1.7kwh max power from the array. I used to get consistently the rated power before.

Any ideas what I can check? If it were a bad connection I assume it produce 0amps.

Thanks!

Hi guys!

I just move some panels to a new location and when connecting them back to the inverter, I am not getting a much power as I used to.
I have 7 canadian solar 375w which after (re)installation I can measure 240v (both with multimeter and inverter, which is a Victron) but I only get 5-6ish amps and ~1.7kwh max power from the array. I used to get consistently the rated power before.

Any ideas what I can check? If it were a bad connection I assume it produce 0amps.

Thanks!

What MPPT?
What panel model?
What battery voltage?
What is your location?
How did the orientation of the array change?
How did the array wiring change?

How far did you move them from your controller?

Wire resistance increases with distance.

Check you angle and tilt for optimum sun. There are calculators online.

Check all your mc4 connectors are snug.

Check your controller and battery connections.

What watts are you running from the panels and are they in series or parallel?

If you have a thermal cam, go over the wires, connectors and panels with it while its good and running for a bit. Allot of times, a bad spot will get warm and show up with the imager.

What MPPT?
What panel model?
What battery voltage?
What is your location?
How did the orientation of the array change?
Victron Multi RS 48/6000
48v architecture
East Europe
No, 95% similar pitch ~20degree slope and south facing, no shading whatsoever
Wires got shorter and better - the location i was previously using was not designed for PV so I only had 4mm2 solid wire and around 30m to inverter and using wago to go from solar cable > AC solid > solar, not it's less than 5m and it's brand new MC4

Should be better not worse... :))

How far did you move them from your controller?

Wire resistance increases with distance.

Check you angle and tilt for optimum sun. There are calculators online.

Check all your mc4 connectors are snug.

Check your controller and battery connections.

What watts are you running from the panels and are they in series or parallel?
Moved from 30 to 5 meters
Orientation is 99% the same (might be a few degrees off, but not more than 5 and i think it's a steeper roof now
Apart from solar panels, everything is tighten with specified torque. System is lift and shift, apart from new and shorter solar wires between panels and inverter
7 in series, 34,3v and I do get exacly 240v reading on inverter

If you have a thermal cam, go over the wires, connectors and panels with it while its good and running for a bit. Allot of times, a bad spot will get warm and show up with the imager.
Wife did not approve the budget for thermal cam :(

But they were working fine ~2months ago before we moved. I even washed them so they're not dusty anymore :D

using wago to go from solar cable > AC solid > solar, not it's less than 5m and it's brand new MC4

MC4 connectors dont grip well on solid cable (I have tried .... ) it's possible one of your mc4 connections is weak/poor

That could account for your loss in power

I realize this is a world wide forum but the NEC only recognize approved connectors for specific applications. The manufacturers submit these applications and they are then approved. Only use approved connectors. It's a life safety issue. Use others at your own risk.

Victron Multi RS 48/6000
48v architecture
East Europe

Too vague. what is your latitude/longitude?

No, 95% similar pitch ~20degree slope and south facing, no shading whatsoever

Are all panels in a string facing exactly the same direction?

What panel model?

Need PV panel specs.

"Wiring" also includes any changes to the array configuration, i.e., did you change the number in series or in parallel?

Is this your first seasonal transition from summer to fall/winter?

Wago are weak friction clamp connectors.
Easily can build up oxidation resulting in resistance.
Not sure if they are rated/approved for DC, I would not advise on using them. I used them as it was on a temporary setup and I didn't want to dig up the driveway again to install DC/solar wires. And yes, they are prone to oxidation so if anyone absolutely needs to use them, keep them indoors and protected from moisture.

Back