diy solar

diy solar

Parallel Series Array & Fuses

rjolicoeur

I've found a lot of information about combining series groups in parallel but none about combining parallel groups in series. Is there a reason not to do the latter?

Unless the answer to my first question is negative, I’m planning to create the following array. Are the fuses in the correct locations?

Solar Array.png
Thank You!!!

It can be done both ways, but it's typically easier the other way around, and not mixing panels is preferred.

In your proposed config, you need 9 fuses and 16 parallel connectors.

147.9V is pretty high, and it's likely notably too high for a 150V controller.

Series elements will all run at the minimum current rating, thus the 2 panel groups will be limited to 15.63A instead of 19.32A thus cutting their output by 19% (1,540W total).

A 4S3P array:

4S 200W
4S 100W
4S 100W

Would need 3 fuses and 4 parallel connectors

You'd lose about 5% off the entire array (1,520W total) with one less panel.

Another vote for series.

FWIW: That looks to be a high Voc for a common 100 watt modules even with the low temp correction factored in. What is it's Voc at STC?

Everyone, thank you very much!!! That's so great, really! =)

I'll rework it as 4S3P array and repost the diagram to verify fuse location & sizes soon.

Here are the Voc at STC and Temperature Coefficient for the panels:

1678680653806.png

1678680766737.png

If you have not already purchased the solar controller, you may want to think about two arrays with two controllers. (know there are other. SCC out there - but I know/use Victron)

If flat mounted use Victron mppt 100/50’s - you will be overpaneled on each array, but for flat mount you never get 100% of rated. Cheaper

If fixed with ideal mount then Victron mppt 150/60’s.
Array1
3s3p mppt 100w panels (only 3 fuses).
Array2 2s2p or 4s - 200w panels. (No fuses)

Good Luck!

Unfortunately, I bought equipment and then started figuring out how to connect it. Cart before the horse, but nonetheless, here I am.

I have an Ecoflow Delta Pro & eight 100-watt panels & four 200-watt panels. I was planning to buy another 100-watt panel to create the array I originally posted. Sunshine_eggo saved me from buying the last panel. Thanks again.

Also, as sunshine_eggo noted, the Voc numbers aren't from the label. I adjusted Voc in my original post for max cold condition.

I updated the wiring diagram as a 4S3P array (below).
  • Are the fuses in the correct location?
  • Do I have the correct ratings for the fuses?
  • Where can I purchase the correct fuses or circuit breakers?
Thank you again for your assistance!!!

Solar Array 4.png

Back