diy solar

diy solar

Parallel top balancing Lifepo4 vs Li-Ion

meetyg

Solar Enthusiast
Hi there.
After seeing many YouTube videos about top balancing Lifepo4 cells by the parallel method, I was wondering why this method is recommended for Lifepo4 but not for Li-Ion cells?

From what I have read, parallel balancing is dangerous for Li-Ion, because one cell with high voltage/SOC may push a fair amount of current to a lower cell, which may cause heat and thermal runaway.
Why are we not scared that this might happen with Lifepo4 cells?

Thanks for the info.

The voltage difference across the SOC range on LiFePO4 isn’t great enough to cause high current flow.

I have yet to see a compelling reason to parallel top balance any type of battery though. There are so many safer and easier ways to achieve top balance.

Thanks for the reply.
I'm guessing that this assumes the LFP cells are within the majority of the flat voltage curve, when top balancing. I would guess no one would try to parallel top balance cells with a SOC difference of above say 80%.
But let's say a newbie saw one of those YouTube videos and did it, without understanding this, having a great difference in SOC (e.g. one cell is at 5-10% and another is above 90-95%), would it harm the cells in the same way as with Li-Ion?

And no, I haven't done this... but just asking to get better knowledge of the differences between the two chemistries.

Back