diy solar

diy solar

Vestwoods 24v 220Ah Lithium Ion - Buyer Beware! & NMC Battery Questions

asot550

Well, I screwed up.

I was looking for an LFP to start a conversion and stumbled upon this Amazon listing for a 220Ah 24v LiFePO4 https://www.amazon.com/FOIIOE-24V-VESTWOODS-Bluetooth-Replacement/dp/B0BY295N5Y/. Amazon listing claims it's a LiFePo4, can handle 4500+ cycles, has bluetooth for monitoring, and it was the best from a Wh/volume, $/Wh, and lb/Wh perspective for my needs. Direct from the Vestwoods website it was $1,000 without tax, and shipping was fast. All was great in my mind. Battery arrived well packed, but I left for vacation shortly after it arrived.

Came home and hooked up a 15a power supply using the low end of their recommended charge voltage per the data sheet (29.4v) Battery was ~50% full and charged well up to 29.4v. Took the battery off the charger and a few minutes later noticed a cell overvoltage disconnect had tripped in the app (probably some cell balancing or the slow charge rate that eeked the single cell past cut-off voltage). Started a capacity test the next morning and noticed pack voltage hadn't dropped to an expected ~27.2v per some "resting" 100% lifepo4 charts, but didn't pay much attention to it.

I started to question things as my capacity test wore on... why was the spec charge voltage a little high and why didn't pack voltage drop overnight? Started to poke around Vestwoods' website more and turns out the listing says it's an "NMP" battery? As best I can tell that's just bad chinese and it's actually an NMC built pack. https://vestwoods.store/collections...f-grid-applications-and-more-built-in-20a-bms

I'm past the return window now, so I'm stuck with what I have. I know that NMC cells have a greater chance of thermal runaway and lower cycle life compared to LFP. Is there anything I can do to extend the battery's life and reduce chance of thermal issues? I'm assuming limiting charge/discharge to 10%-90% will help significantly, as well as low C rates. What voltages should I be using to hit those 10-90% levels?

With a 29.4v lower cutoff on the charge voltage, and looking at NMC cell voltages, I'm assuming there's only 7 cells in the battery (7x4.2v=29.4 spec). The BMS low discharge cut-off is specced at 19.6v which would be 2.8v with 7 cells, that seems in line with some online resources stating 2.75v per cell.

For 7 cells, and trying to limit charging to ~10-90% capacity, is a low voltage cut-off of 3.5v/cell (24.5v) and high voltage charge limit of 4.07v/cell (28.5v) reasonable?

More thoughts, see edit 2 below, is 10-90% limiting even a reasonable goal to hit? 20-90% gives 70% of total capacity and should be good for somewhere around 85-90% capacity retention after 2000 cycles.
1690998864264.png

Edit:
I've been doing some more research and have found a few scholarly articles on OCV vs. SOV estimates that all point to 3.5v being ~10% remaining SOC. 90% OCV seems to be close to ~4.02v/cell, which if you assume 0.05v relaxation after removing the charging source would put you up at 4.07v/cell bulk charging. Sources below.

Edit 2:
This source talks to DoD and charge levels and their effect on longevity of Li-ion cells. I'm beginning to re-think the lower level cutoff since that seems to have the biggest effect on longevity. Perhaps a 20-90% target is a better choice?

Last edited:
Interesting. I would think you have cause to be refunded if the product is not the chemistry advertised.
The Amazon page uses the word Lithium profusely.

Well, I bought mine direct from Vestwoods for the lower price. There's no false advertising on their own website though, NMC is just referring to the cathode portion of the battery, the lithium makes the anode. The full chemical name would be LiNiMnCoO2 like we say LiFePO4. There's also only one mention of LiFePO4 on the amazon listing for this battery, I should've just paid closer attention.

I got caught like you did. Have you come up with a recommended charging profile?

BTW, they are no longer available on Amazon.

The full chemical name would be LiNiMnCoO2 like we say LiFePO4. There's also only one mention of LiFePO4 on the amazon listing for this battery, I should've just paid closer attention.

I still would call this false advertising. Do you have a screenshot of the Amazon listing?

Have you seen Will’s NMC fire bomb video??

And one from a chins prototype:

I got caught like you did. Have you come up with a recommended charging profile?

BTW, they are no longer available on Amazon.
I've decided on targeting 20-90% which should be 28.5v on the charging side, and 24.8-24.9v for the cut-off voltage.

I’ve had the Vestwoods 250ahUltra with 200a bms for about a year now.
12.8V/250AH/3200W
Bought on amazon for 729+tax approx .24 cents / watt back then, currently priced at $599 USD. so about 650 w tax delivered, which is about .20 cents / watt. I haven’t seen anything LifeP04 prebuilt with 200a bms, and cold temp cut off for less per watt.
I haven’t pushed any high amp loads with it but It seems fine other than their app is garbage.

It’s main duties so far are to power my roof fan, 1-2 smaller dc fans and 12/24vdc fridge in my Sprinter van, and as aux slow charging for my Bluetti ac200max. So relatively light duty so far.
I can confirm cold temp cutoff worked last winter.

I’d consider buying 1-3 more IF/except
1) the app was better
2) there are smaller form factor choices available now, some with internal heat.
Such as the ADCBATT 300ah 12V battery I am watching on Amazon and hoping to see teardown/ reviews on soon.
Hello @Will Prowse
It’s the size of a typical 100ah battery. Too good to be true? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CF5J1C8T/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_1?smid=A2D1MK7E7KQDB0&psc=1

3) I’m considering going 48v if I ever get around to (read extra $) building the 10-12kwh system for the van I’d prefer.
4) Self heating would be a plus too, which seems to becoming more and more common.
I’m liking that trend. ?????

Last edited:
Back