diy solar

diy solar

Parallel vs Series

Mozallas

Hi All. New to solar and currently working on 12V campervan. I have 3 X 220 watts panels (see specs below). A 150/70 Victron MPPT, 6awg wiring to roof. What connection method parallel (higher amps) or series (shading issues) will give me the best charging outcome. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Newpowa.png
    Newpowa.png
    398.9 KB · Views: 7
do you already have the Victron 150/70?
You don’t need that large of a unit for 660watts.
You could go with a mppt 100/50 or a 150/45.

With RV’s it is usually recommended to go more parallel. I would hook three panels up as 3 parallel. You will need to fuse each panel- there are MC4 fuses for that.

If you have space to add a fourth panel, then I would go 2s2p - but on a van you probably don’t.

The reason for parallel, is because in an RV we have various shading issues and it changes every time we move. Some sites will be full sun, others will have partial shade,etc. parallel does better with shade.

Good Luck

I would hook three panels up as 3 parallel. You will need to fuse each panel- there are MC4 fuses for that.
3P will be 37.8A Imp which exceeds what most MC4 connectors can handle. When you consider Isc, thats a fire hazard over 40A. You'd need to remove the MC4 connectors and use something like a combiner box.
hen I would go 2s2p
This is often an excellent solution.

With minimal shading issues, 3S works well with your SCC. I would be inclined to try this first to see if you get sufficient production.

Back