diy solar

diy solar

Paralleling/Series Charge Controllers

Cannot answer to series, but have five in parallel with no issues
I suppose I have 4 in parallel too lol
Parallel only for the charge controllers.
I'm wondering what would happen in series.

Presuming there is a load, would they just shake hands at output and shed the combined voltage? Or would the voltage from Controller-A backfeed into the internals Of Controller-B?

Parallel only (and they don't have to be the same brand or capacity either)
Currently running 2x 60A MPPT in parallel currently, eventually there will be a total of 6 in parallel (4x 60A external, and two 60A internals in the inverter) all MPPT...
One system I worked on had 2 wind generators (both PWM inbuilt controllers), one microhydro (also PWM) and 3 solar arrays (1 PWM, 2 MPPT)- all happily coexisting on the same battery bank...

I have no reason to do this as I have 4 in parallel already, but I am curious if this has ever been done. I wouldn't think that the current would go back into the controllers, I would think that the combined voltage would output as would 2 solar panels or batteries would.. Just electrical theory🤷‍♂️ no rhyme or reason as of yet but has it been done?

I have no reason to do this as I have 4 in parallel already, but I am curious if this has ever been done. I wouldn't think that the current would go back into the controllers, I would think that the combined voltage would output as would 2 solar panels or batteries would.. Just electrical theory🤷‍♂️ no rhyme or reason as of yet but has it been done?
definitly sounds like a fun experiment. Try it out and let us know!

in series the current for one would have to flow through the other... so say you have 2 identical 20 amp chargers. Put them in series and the voltage doubles. Assume 12v 20 amp identical - these are cheap and do not communicate with each other. Assuming a 24v battery. It would mean that both would try to charge but how would you know if one was in constant current and the other was in constant voltage phases of charging? In series they would never get a true sense of how the battery is charging and would very likely overcharge it and cause it to heat and damage either the battery or chargers or both. Not recommended

Edit:
And lets not forget the wires have to carry twice the rated current... they melt, or board connection melts, or the whole thing just blows a fuse and shuts off is best case

Last edited:
Reactions: Bop
Back