diy solar

diy solar

Passive energy storage

If i had 120kwh/day of electricity to use, i’d be interested in using a fair portion for something more productive than climate control.

I have never seen a passive house style build where the inside climate couldn’t have been replicated with a conventional build and a combination of battery/PV/RC aircon for a much lower lifetime cost.
Sorry for my ambiguity, I meant to focus more on 5000W as sustained draw, rather than saying “please specify a climate control system that will use 120kWh per day”

Maybe more specific would be
“my system can handle 5000 W continuous draw until 0% SOC. DC or AC. what is an efficient heat pump (cool and heat) of capacity 0-5 tons?”

Two situations I explicitly would like to address are: 1) AC charge source (12.5A 120VAC) and 2) PV that cannot recharge fully every day of year.

A large LiFePO4 battery bank can be a great buffer to take in AC power and PV and pump heat with that energy. I think it’s worth my time to investigate LFP bank + PV + AC input and include water tank thermal buffer. Bob B‘s story definitely energized me to continue :)? if the grid goes down for 12-24 hours, this type of system seems clearly able to service my needs.

Last edited:
If you take a look at this Trane web page, you can get an idea what is available for the commercial market for water source heat pumps .... some of them are as small as .5 ton .... which would be 6000 BTU.
These particular ones would probably be too expensive for residential applications, but I don't see any reason someone shouldn't be making them for residential.
I don't think they have the variable compressor model and anything smaller that 1 ton .... but someone just needs to get busy doing it.
I saw a video of a guy on a sail boat who had built his own water source system that was working amazing well for him .... it was just kind of a hacked together system.... will see if I can find that.

You make yourself a water drill and drill about 2 holes in your yard and make your own geothermal field.

Here is an article about residential heat pumps, but they don't even seem to be talking about water source which takes the efficiency to another level.

Probably getting off the track of the thread title .... maybe we should start a geothermal thread.

Ok .... I started another thread over here .... with the idea of combining DIY solar with DIY geothermal.

With just a quick look ..... some of these water source heat pumps have a rating of over 40 EER.

I would be that maybe even better than that can be found .... some use variable speed compressors.

1628464181872.png

Back