diy solar

diy solar

Oregon right to repair excludes energy story systems

rhino

Solar Wizard
Thought this was interesting that is specifically excludes energy storage systems:

(iv) Is a system, mechanism or series of mechanisms that generates, stores or combines generation and storage of electrical energy from solar radiation;

I assume it's special interest groups paying to be excluded. There's also peak time shift storage systems excluded. And how else to explain this?

(E) Electric toothbrushes.

I assume it's special interest groups paying to be excluded. There's also peak time shift storage systems excluded. And how else to explain this?

(E) Electric toothbrushes.
because batteries dangerous man

Well that sucks.
It seems no politician is above being bought out.
Just pass a simple one paragraph law giving the right for individuals to be able to do what they need to do, to use the item they bought.
Either honor a warranty or let me fix it. It should be as simple as that.

This, Colorado and Massachusetts (for motor vehicles) are pretty good. and the OR/CO ones for electronics are good starts.
Can't get them all in the first go, at least they're making baby steps.
Hopefully we can get schematics on shit we buy again, so we can repair it without having to reverse engineer it first.

A lot of the solar energy systems we're dealing with take very little to take apart though so not really that scary

Laws like this aren't written or usually not even reviewed by politicians. Lobbyists' lawyers write the law, hand it to the pols and say pass it, we'll donate to your campaign.
@michvhf unfortunately you are exactly right. That is the way it works for so many bills.

This is nothing new.

NEC states: The installation and maintenance of ESS equipment and all associated wiring and interconnections shall be performed only by qualified persons.
Qualified Person One who has skills and knowledge related to the construction and operation of the electrical equipment and installations and has received safety training to recognize and avoid the hazards involved.

This is nothing new.

NEC states: The installation and maintenance of ESS equipment and all associated wiring and interconnections shall be performed only by qualified persons.
Qualified Person One who has skills and knowledge related to the construction and operation of the electrical equipment and installations and has received safety training to recognize and avoid the hazards involved.
And 'round and 'round one goes, whether on this forum, with a mfr in a warranty claim, or in the courts. Having ESS excluded from any right to repair law is definitely a slap in the face to people like each of us on this forum. but the NEC's vague definition isn't much better. Who determines the appropriate "skills and knowledge"? What sort of "safety training"? I'm 60, and my Dad had me build my own bedroom at 10 or 11, including doing the wiring under supervision of an electrician friend of his (Dad was a plumber, who taught me to sweat pipes at this same age. He was a big believer in making sure kids had practical skills - a genius, in my view). But I've never been to any sort of formal class on either wiring or plumbing, or participated in a formal apprenticeship program for the trades.

I've owned more than a dozen homes and businesses in my years, have worked on every one of them, and never had an issue. All are still standing and functioning to the best of my knowledge. Some were sold to people who became friends during the sale, and still are, years later. So, am I "Qualified"? Does 50 years of doing this stuff in my buildings count? What about the fact that I just saved our little town tens of thousands in unnecessary expense because I pointed out the truly bone-headed things the "Qualified" installers from the "Qualified" company did incorrectly, when they installed heat pumps in our town buildings?

Almost all of these qualification and exclusion requirements are nothing more than guild-based protectionism and loopholes designed to help a special interest. What a load of rubbish they are! There is a code. If the work is done in alignment with that, that should be the ONLY requirement.

Last edited:
Nothing like getting things done at the state level, where we are guaranteed to have 50 different ways of doing the same thing, vs once at the federal level.

WRT the NEC, just ignore them, and do what you're going to do (safely) ... there's always a way around a roadblock organization that says "qualified/certified people only", or permits/inspectors, or whomever ... just has to be a will to do so.

Right to repair is coming, just not as fast as we'd like ... in the meantime, research and careful product purchasing gets you part of the way there. Nothing like a good tear-down video to determine if something is repairable, or potted beyond reason ... in which case, avoid that one and keep looking.

One good "screw-adapter kit" (for all those funky locking screws that manufacturers use), and you can get into anything ...

Back