diy solar

diy solar

photovoltaic component over voltage

TLayne

Hello all, I'm having problems with an error code on the CC stating the panels are getting too much voltage? I have to keep resetting the CC because it stops charging the batts. This seems to work for a while then starts doing it again. The voltage goes into the high 90's before it shuts down, believe it's supposed to be in the 70's when working properly...this is a 24v system. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

What are the spec of the panels and the SCC? How are the panels wired up? Series? Parallel?

You need to ensure the the total of the open circuit voltages (VOC) of the string does not exceed the maximum input voltage of the controller.

As above what's the spec of the panels and the controller and how do you have the panels connected?

What are the spec of the panels and the SCC? How are the panels wired up? Series? Parallel?
Thanks for the response, 4 200W panels wired in series, open circuit voltage of 24.3, have a 40A SCC Max solar input voltage 100V

You need to ensure the the total of the open circuit voltages (VOC) of the string does not exceed the maximum input voltage of the controller.

As above what's the spec of the panels and the controller and how do you have the panels connected?
I suspect I may have missed some parameter setting in the controller?..I have a 40A rich solar which i've heard are identical to the Renogy units

Thank you, that's exactly what it appears to be doing with the temp drops here in the PNW! I love this board, thanks again!

ok, I'm having this same problem.
I have the Rich Solar 800 Watt Solar Kit.
I have the 4 panels wired in sequence. but I'm getting the error E10 which when I look up, is "Photovoltaic component over-voltage".
This last weekend, I unplugged one of the panels, and the error went away, and it started charging again.

But I want that 4th panel plugged back in.
I get having 2 sets of 2 panels.
Then I assume, they'd connect back together before going into the charge controller? Like using the Y-branch connector or Y-branch adapter?

But in my head, that wouldn't change anything. the same amount would still be coming in, right?
I know I'm missing something.

The picture on that 800 Watt Solar Kit is what I was thinking might need to be done (but was not the example that was on their site when I purchased and installed my kit earlier this year.

Series vs parallel.

In series the voltage adds together and the current stays the same.

In parallel the current adds together and the voltage stays the same.

Back