diy solar

diy solar

PIP-5048MGX Timer control on AC output and charging

SunnyPerth

Hey All,

I've recently purchased and installed a PIP-5048MGX, and till now it's working fine. Probably some small finetuning to do, really like the idea to connect it with some ESP or Pi to read and store data, etc etc, but for now it's working fine. Except..

This unit is advertised to have a "Timer control on AC output and charging" option. See brochure and page 23 and 24 in the manual.

However, I can't go into that setting. Press and hold on either of the buttons for 3+ seconds, doesn't open that menu item.
It's kinda important to me, as this would enable me to allow the inverter to use utility to charge the battery during the day, and then change back at night.
I want this, as I already have a solar setup that feeds back into the grid, so doing that during day time means I use some of that (free) energy.

I've opened a support case with MPP who came back with... "Sorry. This is a mistake. The 5048MGX inverter doesn't support this function. We will modify the user manual in shortly."

I find this hard to believe, so I've now added more screenshots of both brochure and manual, but I just wanted to check the brains trust. Anyone that is using this function on a 5048MGX ?

Cheers from (still) sunny perth,

y.

(or if not using, but has the same inverter, can check if they can go into that menu item?)

Haha - either no-one saw this message, or no one has the answer. All good.

MPP has in mean time got back to me, and updated their website. This functionality is NOT available on the 5048-MGX. Although their website and documentation clearly described it, and how to use it on THIS inverter (even with images to what buttons to use). So I suspect that they have worked on a firmware for this version that can do this, but decided not to roll that out yet. Would not surprise me if we see it coming out in the next months.
I'm understanding that this unit is not firmware-upgradeable (well, that's what they told me) so I will be looking at either an different inverter or maybe another remote control solution. Cheers All.

Haha - either no-one saw this message, or no one has the answer. All good.

MPP has in mean time got back to me, and updated their website. This functionality is NOT available on the 5048-MGX. Although their website and documentation clearly described it, and how to use it on THIS inverter (even with images to what buttons to use). So I suspect that they have worked on a firmware for this version that can do this, but decided not to roll that out yet. Would not surprise me if we see it coming out in the next months.
I'm understanding that this unit is not firmware-upgradeable (well, that's what they told me) so I will be looking at either an different inverter or maybe another remote control solution. Cheers All.
that's too bad, it's really annoying about these "hurried-up" products where it's pushed on to the market before fully baked and tested. I am looking to purchase a PIP-5048GK and now wondering if it will have the same problem.

Though prioritizing AC output as bSU (battery-solar-utility) may work for you: battery fully charged during the day, then deplete during peak hours with no solar, then utility ?

any one know the difference between the PIP-5048GK vs PIP-5048-MGX ? i can only decipher the -MGX has 0ms transfer time
Thanks

Yup, wasn't to happy about that, and indeed, likely result of pushing out models before they fully tested new(est) firmwares etc. I also hoped that these models would be able to get new firmware updates - if it's not for additional functionality,in case they find a issue in the future it would make sense. Anyway..
By now I'm using a Pi to control the inverter - once my main solar system produces enough power and the batteries are below a certain charge level, the Pi switches the inverter to charge from Util and Solar, until batteries are above a certain charge level or main solar system is below power threshold. (Voltronic software on Pi, Home Automation etc). Works well.

can you share the schematic wiring how you've connected the Pi controller to the inverter ? is the communication/command executing via the serial port ? Thanks

Back