diy solar

diy solar

Pip1012lv-mk stays in "float" mode

Watch Me Build

My Pip1012lv-mk 12v system always stays around 60w charging unless I unhook my panels and then rehook them back up. Then it will charge at the actual solar input of the panels until the battery is full.

It's like it's stuck in a float/top off mode no matter what the state of the battery is at.

Today my battery was at 120AH remaining (280ah capacity) and the mppt was only bringing in 80w. The normal 60w it always does, and an extra 20 something to run the inverter.

If I add load, it will bring in more to run the loads, but it doesn't charge the battery unless I flip the breaker on and off.

Is there something I'm missing in settings?

post your settings for each program

particularly 02-maximum charging current
10- operation logic
11-maximum utility charging current
is battery type user? then 32 also

Where are you reading this 60 Watts and 80 Watts you're referring to? PV power?

Last edited:
02 - 40a
10 - aut
11 - 20 (I have no shore power)
12-12.0
13-12.5
16-ucb
23-bye
26-14.1
27-13.5
32-aut (05 is user)

Yes I'm reading it on the pv input wattage on the main screen.

OK, I believe Program 02 and 11 sort of work together. You have 40 amps of utility and solar as maximum; and 20 amps for utility---I think that leaves only 20 amps for solar.

Don't know max charging rate for your type battery, but I would take program 11 down to 2 Amps and raise program 02 to 60 amps.

Change program 16 from UCb to UdC, since you have no utility.

How many watts of solar attached?

It's a LifePo4 280ah diy with Eve cells and a a DGJBD bms.

This unit is only rated for 40amps of solar charge and 20 of utility charge. So that's why I have them set like that. But you're right. I didn't realize setting 2 was the combination of both.

I'll change the ucb one as well. I had it the other way at one point but switched it when trying to use a generator and never changed it back.

I have 600w of solar panels, but the unit maxes out at 500w. I was told you could hook up to 800w to it but it would only collect up to 500.

I take it you have seen the display indicate 500 watts of PV power at some point in time?
If so, it should be delivering close to 40 amps to the battery, or trying to.

Not familiar with BMS or how it would interact with 1012LV-MK settings.

Yes after I flip the breaker for the panels on or off it goes to the max.... Most I've ever seen was like 480 something. Today was in the 4s.

The problem is it never goes into that charge mode on its own. And I have no idea how to set it to be like "under 200ah, do a full charge". It's maybe possible that it's being limited by the bms but there's been times when it was around 50ah and it still didn't switch to that mode on its own.

possible that it's being limited by the bms
How/what did you use to set up the BMS? JBD Tools software? Via RS232 on computer?

I am thinking the BMS overcharge protection MOSFET is turned on, probably current.
Maybe review your settings:
1604409604923.png

How/what did you use to set up the BMS? JBD Tools software? Via RS232 on computer?

I am thinking the BMS overcharge protection MOSFET is turned on, probably current.
Maybe review your settings:
View attachment 26548
No I only have the bluetooth adapter and phone app xiaoxiang

Not sure what setting I should be looking at.

Here is multiple screenshots of the current settings. Could you take a look to see if it seems like something is off?Screenshot_20201103-192344.jpgScreenshot_20201103-192352.jpgScreenshot_20201103-192400.jpgScreenshot_20201103-192407.jpg

Here's a link to a video I just shot of what it does.
Thanks for the video, sort of what I thought you were saying with your questions. So after reset (PV disconnect & connect) it fully charges battery.
Still thinking on this, sorry I cannot help.

What is your setting for Program 01: USb, SUb, or SbU?

Try changing it.

Hell, give that a try.

I do not have a 1012LV-MK nor LiFePo batteries; just trying to help.

It appears the unit is not sensing that the batteries need a charge via solar until it reboots.
In the beginning of your video the CHG light is on solid green--"Battery is fully charged".
After you disconnect/connect PV it starts flashing indicating charging and charges.
So the unit thinks the battery is full.

With Program 01 as SBU or SUB, I think it may look to Program 12 voltage to start charging; you have it at 12 volts. It never gets to 12 volts and it never charges. Raise this voltage to 13.

And raise Program 13 back to the default of 13.5V

I think it should then solar charge between 13 volts (start) and 13.5 volts (stop)

Hell, give that a try.

I do not have a 1012LV-MK nor LiFePo batteries; just trying to help.

It appears the unit is not sensing that the batteries need a charge via solar until it reboots.
In the beginning of your video the CHG light is on solid green--"Battery is fully charged".
After you disconnect/connect PV it starts flashing indicating charging and charges.
So the unit thinks the battery is full.

With Program 01 as SBU or SUB, I think it may look to Program 12 voltage to start charging; you have it at 12 volts. It never gets to 12 volts and it never charges. Raise this voltage to 13.

And raise Program 13 back to the default of 13.5V

I think it should then solar charge between 13 volts (start) and 13.5 volts (stop)
Ok my battery is at 13.26 right now. So I set 12 for 13.3. And 13 back to default at 13.5

So it should trigger right away if this is what the issue is.

I'll let you know.

And if this is the case, then I will probably raise 13 to 13.8 and keep 12 where it's at.

(Oh and thank you. I do appreciate you trying to help.)

Sorry for the delay... I keep playing with these settings and I'm not sure what's going on with them.haha. today it started charging after I put a load on it of around 400 watts. It's like it knocked the mppt out of sleep mode to charge the battery. But otherwise nothing has been working other than flipping the breaker.

I'll test it tomorrow and see if that does it again.

This thing still doesn't go into charge mode. Unless I put a load on it for a few seconds.

So I've been running a drill for a few seconds and then it starts up.

But now when the battery is full, the thing doesn't stop charging. The bms cuts the charge until it goes below the threshold, and it just keeps cycling like that.

It uses to do that a few times, and then read as charged on the mppsolar. But now it has been doing it endlessly.

And what's worse is the past 2 days it has thrown an error code 8 on the second cycle like that, and each subsequent cycle as well.

I've also noticed the battery voltage on what the mppsolar unit is reading compared to what the battery voltage on the bms is showing can be off by as much as .3-.4 during periods of high charge or discharge.

I want to like this thing... But it's really trying my patience, and it seems like each parameter contradicts a different parameter. Ugh.

Error code 8, not good.

At this point I am confused about all your settings, can you tabulate and post them?

Seems like some setting(s) are in conflict with BMS.

Is Program 33 Battery equalization disabled?

Back