diy solar

diy solar

Please explain attached Photo...

Chri5co63

This is a view of the screen on our PowMr 3000 w Solar Inverter Charger unit, during a sunny day with PV Input to charge the batteries. At the same time, the generator is running. However, the generator does not seem to be inputting into the system. The only time that the generator inputs is when there is no PV input (such as at night). We have also tried running the generator on cloudy days, when very little PV is inputting, to allow generator to add to the charging of the batteries, but still no connection path from generator is indicated on the screen (one thing we have NOT tried is running a heavy load in this scenario such as an air conditioner to see if input energy from the generator would be called for).

Is this normal? Is there a setting in the parameters for the PowMr, that I do not have correct? Does there need to be a significant load for the generator input connection path to be viewed? Does it have anything to do with Parameter setting 07, 28, or 36 (Max. Charging current set at 40a, Max A/C charging current set at 40a, or PV charging current set at 40a, respectively). These parameters were set as per suggestion from the Chins battery Representative. Incidentally, we have the Battery Charging mode (parameter 06) set at SNU so that both solar energy and utility (generator) will charge the batteries at the same time. The PowMr manual further states for this setting that, "MPPT Solar energy will be priority charging and when it is insufficient, Utility will become priority. When the photovoltaic energy is sufficient again, Utility will stop charging." on a cloudy day, wouldn't the PV energy be insufficient enough to allow the Utility (generator) to charge the batteries and/or supply energy to load?

I mention parameters 07, 28 and 36 only because they seem a bit confusing to me as the settings are all equal, while in the PowMr manual it states that Parameter 07 is the Max charging current = utility charging current + solar charging current. If Parameter 28 and 36 are set at 40a, wouldn't the setting for 07 be 80a? Even the Default numbers in the manual do not make sense to me as they are [07] 60a, [28] 40a, [36] 60a.

IMG_9577.jpg

Last edited:
What is your Load Working Mode (probably parameter #1) set to?
If it's SBU or SOL, the inverter won't use grid/generator power at all unless the battery is low AND there's no solar power available. It seems a little counterintuitive, but if you have no grid connected and your only input AC power is a generator, you want to set that parameter to 'Utl' or utility, which sets the generator power as priority, since you only run the generator when you actually want the inverter to use it.

Parameter 07 is the Max charging current = utility charging current + solar charging current. If Parameter 28 and 36 are set at 40a, wouldn't the setting for 07 be 80a? Even the Default numbers in the manual do not make sense to me as they are [07] 60a, [28] 40a, [36] 60a.
Usually it won't let you set 07 less than the smaller of 28 or 36. But it does have a function: it's the maximum current that the inverter will send to the battery regardless of the available current from solar and AC. For example, if 28 is set to 40A and 36 is set to 40A (and both are available), but 07 is set to 60A, the battery will only get a max of 60A. The inverter won't send the full 40A + 40A = 80A.

The AIO will not charge from AC in when it is operating the inverter. It can only act either as an inverter or a charger and not both at once. However the MPPT SCC portion of your AIO can charge the battery independent of if the inverter is charging. So you have charge from solar current you can set up to the max of 60a, charge from AC in (operating in AC pass through) max of 40a and the total max amperage if from either added together that can be set.

No reason to run your generator if you are not operating in AC bypass (either by setting Uti mode of not having sufficent PV/battery to carry the loads in SBU or SOL causing the Transfer switch to switch to AC bypass).

The AIO will not charge from AC in when it is operating the inverter. It can only act either as an inverter or a charger and not both at once.
Right, but in Utl mode, it'll automatically switch to AC bypass and charge the battery simultaneously, which seems like what the OP wants to happen: Charge the battery with the generator and not have to turn off the loads.

If it's SBU or SOL, the inverter won't use grid/generator power at all unless the battery is low AND there's no solar power available. It seems a little counterintuitive, but if you have no grid connected and your only input AC power is a generator, you want to set that parameter to 'Utl' or utility, which sets the generator power as priority, since you only run the generator when you actually want the inverter to use it.
Thank you for your response… the following is a list of all parameter settings per the Chins manufacturer (the only setting that is different is in Parameter 15, the PowMr would automatically set it at 21.0v for some reason as I set all other parameters. No matter how many times I tried setting it at the recommended 22.2v, it would always change it to 21.0v):

“24V 3000W configuration CHINS battery, please set the following parameters:”
01: SOL
02: 60
03: UPS
04: 23.2
05: 27.6V
06: SNU
07: 40A (0.2C)
08: LF08
09: 28.4V
10:120min
11: 28.4V
12: 22V
13: 5S default
14: 24.8V
15: 22.2V
16,17,18,19,20,21: not applicable
22: EAN
23: EAN
24: EAN
25: EAN
26 :ENA def
27 :ENA def
28: 40A (0.2C)
29:
35: 25.6
36: 40A (0.2C)
37: 27.8V

The AIO will not charge from AC in when it is operating the inverter. It can only act either as an inverter or a charger and not both at once. However the MPPT SCC portion of your AIO can charge the battery independent of if the inverter is charging. So you have charge from solar current you can set up to the max of 60a, charge from AC in (operating in AC pass through) max of 40a and the total max amperage if from either added together that can be set.

No reason to run your generator if you are not operating in AC bypass (either by setting Uti mode of not having sufficent PV/battery to carry the loads in SBU or SOL causing the Transfer switch to switch to AC bypass).
Thank goodness for Google… I had to look up a few acronyms (AIO=All-in-One), SCC=Solar Control Center) ?

Since it has been a fairly recent upgrade to the Lithium batteries from SLA batteries, we were used to having to power up the generator (even on a sunny day when PV energy was coming in to change the batteries) when we wanted to run the portable air conditioner. I believe that under the old way (with SLA batteries), without running the generator while the air conditioner was running, the batteries would be discharged too quickly.

Note: our portable generator has to be started up manually when we need extra power to run the bigger loads.

Please see the attached photo of the PowMr screen during the condition of running the generator while PV was inputting. (Connection paths from PV to charge the batteries and AC energy to charge the Batteries and to supply direct to the Load):
1681478133590.jpeg
This is the scenario that we would like to replicate with the new Lithium Battery system. Under the old SLA system, all parameters were set at the default values, with the exception of Parameter 01 being at to SOL, rather than the default UTI.

For reference, the following is a pic of our specific AIO.
1681479070358.jpeg

I know exactly what your AIO is since my EAsun is identical. They are both rebadged SRNE units. ( I wrote up a review of the EAsun 3KW-U in the Off grid inverter Forum). There are a few particularities on them that you will have to get used to. For instance your setting #4 (transfer to utility battery voltage) It can only be set a minimum of .2v less than setting #14 or it will not stick. This can be worked around by using the SRNE monitoring program on a computer. The battery discharge limit in setting #15 is constrained by the low voltage settings in #12

My present settings for my use is as follows:

1. SBU
3. UPS
4. 24.2v (previously at 25v for battery conservation)
5. 26.6v
6. OSO (I do not charge from utility unless needed and than I change to SNU)
7. 45a
8. LF08
9. 28.4v Battery Boost
10. 130 minutes boost charge time
12. 23v
14. 24.4v
15. 22v
28. 10a (I have small inverter generator)
35. 26v
36. 45a
37. 26.6v

Once you get used to what it is you wish to maiximise for you will refine the settings for your use case.

ETA: BTW my review is here: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/e...week-review-and-8-month-recap-of-usage.45138/

Last edited:
I know exactly what your AIO is since my EAsun is identical. They are both rebadged SRNE units. ( I wrote up a review of the EAsun 3KW-U in the Off grid inverter Forum). There are a few particularities on them that you will have to get used to. For instance your setting #4 (transfer to utility battery voltage) It can only be set a minimum of .2v less than setting #14 or it will not stick. This can be worked around by using the SRNE monitoring program on a computer. The battery discharge limit in setting #15 is constrained by the low voltage settings in #12

My present settings for my use is as follows:

1. SBU
3. UPS
4. 24.2v (previously at 25v for battery conservation)
5. 26.6v
6. OSO (I do not charge from utility unless needed and than I change to SNU)
7. 45a
8. LF08
9. 28.4v Battery Boost
10. 130 minutes boost charge time
12. 23v
14. 24.4v
15. 22v
28. 10a (I have small inverter generator)
35. 26v
36. 45a
37. 26.6v

Once you get used to what it is you wish to maiximise for you will refine the settings for your use case.

ETA: BTW my review is here: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/e...week-review-and-8-month-recap-of-usage.45138/

Hey, I'm struggling with a similar inverter, an SRNE AIO. I just can't get it to charge from the mains whatever I do. The Max Charger Current [07] is set to 0A, and I just can't change it? I don't suppose you've any ideas why that could be do you given your previous experience? My current settings are below. Thanks in advance.

SRNE Settings.png

Back