diy solar

diy solar

\#> please h%lp

marlogk

Hi.
I have a weekend shipping container, it has 12 volt hooked up and 240 power points in it.

I’m having issues with my solar, it won’t keep charged & keeps disconnecting.

The only thing running during the week is wifi router & security camera from the 240 power point.

I have.

3000 watt inverter.
2 x 200 ah lithium batteries
1 - 100/50 Victron controller.
3 x 190 watt solar panels ( only 2 connected at controller didn’t like the 3rd connected).
The panels are in series.

Can anyone tell me where I’m going wrong.
What do I need to change to have battery life 24/7.
I’m basically running nothing.

Without knowing any details of your equipment we can only guess that you are using more power than you are making. Your inverter draws power just to be turned on, and 380 watts of solar is not very much.

Did you charge each battery fully before connecting them together? Do you have a shunt? or at least a multi meter?

For us to help we need more info about your equipment. Can you post the model of your inverter and the info on the back of the solar panels?

Inverter is a 3000 watt kings.

The batteries were both charged to full before connecting.

Attachments

• IMG_8188.png
    IMG_8188.png
    231.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8189.png
    IMG_8189.png
    135.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8190.png
    IMG_8190.png
    132.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8191.png
    IMG_8191.png
    159.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8166.jpeg
    IMG_8166.jpeg
    161.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8150.png
    IMG_8150.png
    472.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8149.jpeg
    IMG_8149.jpeg
    259.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8188.png
    IMG_8188.png
    231.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8189.png
    IMG_8189.png
    135.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8190.png
    IMG_8190.png
    132.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8191.png
    IMG_8191.png
    159.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8152.jpeg
    IMG_8152.jpeg
    616.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8150.png
    IMG_8150.png
    472.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8170.png
    IMG_8170.png
    145.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_8163.png
    IMG_8163.png
    106.4 KB · Views: 13
First, the VOC of the panels going into that controller cannot exceed 100. Your panels' VOC is 44. Add them together when you connect them in series. So, for your controller 2 panels in seris is OK, and 3 are too much. The Victron SCC only needs 5 volts above battery voltage to initiate charging. Since you are running a 12 volt system, you could run those 3 panels in parallel and they would work with that SCC. BUT, with more than 2 in parallel you should have fuses on each panel.

You could also get a 4th panel and connect 2 in series and 2 in parallel. Then you do not need fuses on the panels.

Inverter is a 3000 watt kings.
The tare loss of the inverter is the most likely culprit that I'm seeing.

20 watts (just my guess) x 24 hrs = ~ 500 watt hours/day could out use what those two panels are producing if they are spending a big part of thier day with some shade on them.

edit to fix typo.

Last edited:
This may explain why hes having trouble, it may be too late. He said "it didn't like the 3rd connected"
This display screen shows the SCC is still operating. "Today" the batteries are dead. 540Wh collected is not very much ... certainly not enough to recharge the batteries, much less sustain the inverter and the loads running 24 hours.

img_8170-png.207447

400Ah of battery at 12 volts is 5120 Wh. And you are making 540Wh per day from the solar panels. At this rate it will take 10 days of good sun to recharge your batteries, but only if you disconnect them from all loads.

2 of the 190 watt solar panels should be making closer to 1500 Wh per day of good sun. Still not enough to recharge the batteries.

Still waiting to hear about that tree.

400Ah of battery at 12 volts is 5120 Wh. And you are making 540Wh per day from the solar panels. At this rate it will take 10 days of good sun to recharge your batteries, but only if you disconnect them from all loads.

2 of the 190 watt solar panels should be making closer to 1500 Wh per day of good sun. Still not enough to recharge the batteries.

Yeah, shading looks like a problem.

But "today" is looks like it never woke up. Ambient light is still something. I guess its not clear when the 3rd panel was tried.
Theres a complete disconnection somewhere. The "Status" page would tell if there is still battery voltage sensed. Today being 10V , imagine bms shut down by now.

Yeah, shading looks like a problem.

But "today" is looks like it never woke up. Ambient light is still something. I guess its not clear when the 3rd panel was tried.
Theres a complete disconnection somewhere. The "Status" page would tell if there is still battery voltage sensed. Today being 10V , imagine bms shut down by now.
He's in Australia. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Morning.. thanks for all the replies.
The panels are in full sun.

The 3rd panel was hooked up when we 1st put them up there & turned off straight away as soon as the Victron App said to.

Does it water the panels are in series, should I go parallel with them.

I’m going to run 2 x 100/50 controller & hook up 4 x solars (190 watt each)

Going to run container during the week off 12volts (for security camera) & only use inverter/240 volts when we stay.

Thoughts??

There is a tree next to container but doesn’t cast over panels.

Hmm how would I know if the controller is stuffed??
If its working, but just at a reduced rate compared to whats expected, it could simply be a loose connection. Check breakers for voltage drop, or anything getting warm. Give all wires a pull, especially the ones going into the charge controller. Investigate every single connection. I regularly check all my breakers with a screwdriver.

2 panels in series on each controller is fine, not 3. Ive never smoked one but from what everyone says, the damage for overvolt on the pv max input is an instant death sentence.

The 100/50 charge controller should work fine with 4 of your 190watt panels. I haven't done the math but maybe it will be slightly overpanelled, but not excessive.

Victron has a calculator tool on their web site to help figure out the correct MPPT for your panels. Just input the PV panel info and it does the rest.

Back