diy solar

diy solar

Please Help: 48v 6.5kW MPP *All In One* Inverter w/ 80A Charge Controllers... Need Battery Recommendations

Off-Grid-Florida

I have purchased the 6.5kW 48v MPP *all in one* system and need help with the battery configuration (and panel options too).

The company I purchased from claims that the minimum amp hour requirement for the battery bank is 200-300 ah.

Will 4 Battleborn 12v batteries connected in series suffice?

Do you have recommendations for a larger 48v battery that can handle a partial load? (We will not be using the full 6.5kW anytime soon and likely will not exceed 3kW for a couple years until our home is finished)

Regarding panels, I have so many options that it makes my head spin. I am considering buying used panels (80-90% of rated wattage) but am openminded and will also consider new panels if anyone has suggestions. We do not need a full 6.5kW array yet but if we buy used panels, it is very affordable and we may do it.

One final question... will a full 6.5kW array cause damage to the system with insufficient battery capacity? Will the 4 Battleborns in series (or 300ah+ 48v battery) be enough?

Thank you in advance!!!

I would assume the manufacturer knows the capabilities of their product. 100ah Battle Born X 4 gives you 100ah at 48 volts. According to them you need to at least double your battery capacity. The MPP isn't very efficient so it is entirely possible the standby draw from the unit will use up 1/4 to 1/3 of your battery capacity per day without doing any work.

You should really start your process by figuring out what you need to power and for how long per day, then figure out how many days you need to run those things. THEN you can figure out how large an inverter you need, how much battery you need, and how much solar you need.

So, start with, what you are trying to run with this system? It is impossible to make recommendations without knowing what kinds of loads the system is expected to power.

Thank you for your help. We are only using electronics during the day, small loads less than 1k W for now... bought the 6.5kw inverter so we can add on later as we are slowly building a home in Florida, living out of a camper to start.

For our lifestyle, we dont need batteries because we power down at night and have standalone solar lights but because the seller recommends 200-300 ah worth of batteries for the inverter, I thought that the inverter required it. I have seen it in use without batteries on YouTube so I was wrong to assume that. I feel dumb for not knowing what to do. Thanks again.

I have purchased the 6.5kW 48v MPP *all in one* system and need help with the battery configuration (and panel options too).

The company I purchased from claims that the minimum amp hour requirement for the battery bank is 200-300 ah.

Will 4 Battleborn 12v batteries connected in series suffice?

Do you have recommendations for a larger 48v battery that can handle a partial load? (We will not be using the full 6.5kW anytime soon and likely will not exceed 3kW for a couple years until our home is finished)

Regarding panels, I have so many options that it makes my head spin. I am considering buying used panels (80-90% of rated wattage) but am openminded and will also consider new panels if anyone has suggestions. We do not need a full 6.5kW array yet but if we buy used panels, it is very affordable and we may do it.

One final question... will a full 6.5kW array cause damage to the system with insufficient battery capacity? Will the 4 Battleborns in series (or 300ah+ 48v battery) be enough?

Thank you in advance!!!
hello i am working on a system very much like yours rule of thumb bigger better .. what you have will start your inverter however the draw might be for a shorter time before you run out of battery .. and as for solar panels i bought used 30 240 watt panels delivered for less than 2k so its not bad .. warehoused are upgrading there panels and i think its time to take use of that surplus of old stuff. if you have a few extra panels its nice to have replacements on hand if needed.. just my thoughts

Back