diy solar

diy solar

Please Needing Help Quick

Or, it's just because all of the batteries are at alarm.
I’m not sure I’m following…. Also if there was a fault inside a battery shouldn’t the Inverter detect it and give a fault code or power down or not function. It’s been inverting 48v into 120v just fine and powering loads for about 24hrs

Turn off all battery breakers
Disconnect the communication cables
Start the generator
Turn on the inverter
Turn on one battery
If it works, add another battery
If not, start over with a different battery

Ok I tried again with only 1 battery connected to the Inverter. NO solar connected. And disconnected the battery communication plugs. It came on and then blew GCFI after 4 seconds

I'm running out of ideas.
You don't by any chance have an extra battery, or a 48v power source maybe?

I am totally off grid only power is Solar or Generator.
So much for that idea.
I'm out of ideas too.
Those plugs are about $15 and usually available at RV or generator stores. Doesn't appear HF carries them online but they may be in stores.
If nothing else works, I'd suggest picking one up and giving it a try. Just plug it into an empty 120v generator outlet and a bond is made on the chassis.
They are also easy to make with a plug and jumper wires.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OK so I disconnected everything and changed the AC input cable to an entirely different one. Connected it to the generator and it worked. The display showed 120 V input it did not click off or trip the generators outlet it stayed on for about five minutes. I felt good about it so I turned the batteries back on and after about 35 seconds it shut off. I’m going to keep digging but something is going on maybe in the batteries maybe in the inverter

At that low state of charge of odd things can happen. Getting those batteries above 50% might be the next step. Other than a 48 power supply I'm not totally sure how to tell you how to go about doing that though.

What are the specs on your solar modules?

This is the first time you've ran this system, right?

At that low state of charge of odd things can happen. Getting those batteries above 50% might be the next step. Other than a 48 power supply I'm not totally sure how to tell you how to go about doing that though.

What are the specs on your solar modules?

This is the first time you've ran this system, right?
Yes first time.
And I have 18 250w panels but I don’t have my rack built yet so I was just using 4 panels in series for now. First turn on for the system was last night. Today was cloudy. I know I need more PV but it’s gonna take a week. Was hoping to get by with charging battery with generator

Yes first time.
And I have 18 250w panels but I don’t have my rack built yet so I was just using 4 panels in series for now. First turn on for the system was last night. Today was cloudy. I know I need more PV but it’s gonna take a week. Was hoping to get by with charging battery with generator
Please send a pic of the label on the back of the solar module.

You can't reset the BMS's without applying 48v to the battery terminal. A lower voltage may work.
But, the charger won't be able to do it. It's looking for the battery voltage, before it will apply a charge.
If you can get one going, it can get the others going.

Do you have an ac charger for your batteries that could be plugged into the gennie? Charge the batteries individually without using the MPP?

Back