diy solar

diy solar

Please take a look at my set up!

mebe

Hello, first time poster long time lurker, please tell me any critiques with my setup and please speak up if anyone sees anything wrong with it... I have 2 320 watt solar panels that I will be mounting on the roof and this bad boy will go into my storage compartment. The positive Cable from the switch will make its way to my battery and the negative cable from the shunt will be on the negative end of the battery bank.

I will also be mounting a 20 amp outlet wired directly from the Inverter.

My question is concerning the ground for the MPPT controller and the Inverter, should I ground these to the chasis ? Or ground to the negative bus bar? I have seen both so it's kind of confusing...

I am a beginner so any help is much appreciated!

Attachments

• 20230820_174331.jpg
    20230820_174331.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 55
So this is a vehicle installation, assuming a trailer.

Does the remorgy SCC have a heat sink and / or vents? That should be vertically mounted to properly use any fins on the backside or airflow vents. Same with the inverter; the fan(s) output should blow upwards imho. Unless the photo is 90* disoriented and you did that? One is still facing wrong.

I see a GFCI; the inverter is capable of 25A+ into a 20A outlet. I’d want to run that through a 20A breaker.

The fuse before the inverter 12VDC input should be on the battery imho; this protects the batt cable and marine switch from fire.
Lithium battery (-ies)? Should be a Class T fuse.
Also the inverter needs cabling supporting 250ADC but doesn’t require a fuse to the busbar if battery pos(+) has the proper fuse.
ground for the MPPT controller and the Inverter, should I ground these to the chasis
The chassis should have a ground cable to the negative busbar. All circuit neg(-) should terminate at the busbar.
I don’t see a 12VDC fusebox?

So this is a vehicle installation, assuming a trailer.

Does the remorgy SCC have a heat sink and / or vents? That should be vertically mounted to properly use any fins on the backside or airflow vents. Same with the inverter; the fan(s) output should blow upwards imho. Unless the photo is 90* disoriented and you did that? One is still facing wrong.

I see a GFCI; the inverter is capable of 25A+ into a 20A outlet. I’d want to run that through a 20A breaker.

The fuse before the inverter 12VDC input should be on the battery imho; this protects the batt cable and marine switch from fire.
Lithium battery (-ies)? Should be a Class T fuse.
Also the inverter needs cabling supporting 250ADC but doesn’t require a fuse to the busbar if battery pos(+) has the proper fuse.

The chassis should have a ground cable to the negative busbar. All circuit neg(-) should terminate at the busbar.
I don’t see a 12VDC fusebox?

Hello, thank you for the reply, yes it will be mounted up vertically against a wall in the trailer, sorry the photo looks like that, so the charge controller will be mounted up and down facing the correct way and as the Inverter goes, from what I was reading on the Inverter manual, it stated they recommend it be vertical. Basically it won't be laying down.

Thank you for the recommendation on the 20 amp breaker, I was wondering about that as well.

I will have a 300 amp fuse on the positive battery terminal, sorry i should have explained this.

Ok, just so I'm clear, I should ground the Inverter and Charge controller to the Negative bus bar and then ground the negative bus bar to the chasis? Is that correct?

No 12 vdc fuse box, ill add that later...

Thank you for the reply!

should ground the Inverter and Charge controller to the Negative bus bar and then ground the negative bus bar to the chasis
Yes, sortof. Technically you are grounding the chassis to the neg(-) busbar.

Back