diy solar

diy solar

Well that worked out well... in my head.

Rednecktek

Solar Wizard
So I decided to raid my spare parts bins and make a new briefcase solar gen since I seem to have left my Jackery up at the camp somehow. I got most everything done today save the 120v outlet (that I thought I had the parts for in hand), just needed a little more cable management.

20240225_193857.jpg

20240225_193912.jpg

2x 40Ah battery packs I got from another member on here, a 500w PSW inverter, some USB 3.0 and USB PD ports, a regular 12v cig lighter plug, and the aforementioned 120v outlets will be the outlets.

On the inlet side I've got a simple 30a PWM controller connected to an 8mm socket for the existing folding panels I have and the Jackery car charger as well as a pair of m6 terminal screws to clip a regular charger onto.

My biggest failure though seems to be my great idea of using a 150a rated DC contactor to turn the outputs on and off. First off it draws 3a just to run its coil which is more than I want to feed, but more importantly sometimes it just drops out and kicks back in. Well krap! That worked out great... in my head.

So tomorrow will be replacing that coil with a rotary disconnect and moving all its wiring around, as well as cutting and mounting the 120v outlet.

All finished. I replaced the contactor with a rotary switch and got the 120v wired in.

20240226_103259.jpg

20240226_103314.jpg

The question I now pose to the forum: What Next?

I've got some parts...

20240226_103344.jpg

20240226_103534.jpg

I've got:

2x 12v 100ah pouch batteries easily converted to 24v
8s JBD BMS
600w 12v inverter
600w 24v inverter
1500w 12v inverter
20a HQST MPPT
60A PowMr MPPT (The older metal type)

I wish I could get more of those batteries so I could rip them apart and make a 24v 200ah set and get a 24v AIO for them, but after my 1 star review they seem to have vanished.

So, what combo should I do next? 😁

It's not a problem, I can quit whenever I want... really...

Leave the extra stuff home, until you've camped a few times and see if you NEED the extra power. The stuff can then go to the cabin

That is an amazing build! What kind of PWM are you running with and how much solar will you be using (if your using solar)?
some generic cheapie I had in my bin, not even sure it has a brand name. I'll only be plugging in a "160w" foldable panel so anything over 10a is gravy.

Leave the extra stuff home, until you've camped a few times and see if you NEED the extra power. The stuff can then go to the cabin
The cabin is its own beast, this is just for weekend camping and such when I don't feel like driving 8 hours each way. 😁

The cabin is its own beast, this is just for weekend camping and such when I don't feel like driving 8 hours each way. 😁
Ya, thats why I was thinking :fp2 that you didn't need more power in the trailer.

Back