diy solar

diy solar

Pool Pump Question

Black Sheep Solar

I invested in this pump...

PWS Solar Powered Swimming Pool Pump, 72VDC, 1.6HP, 62ft, 136GPM, Solar Water Pump with MPPT Controller, Suitable for Salt Water, JP31-19/1200...​

I want to get the max power I can out of it. Wondering if anyone can suggest the best panels to use ... Brand Size Etc... I am kinda new to this all.

TY Everyone

I invested in this pump...

PWS Solar Powered Swimming Pool Pump, 72VDC, 1.6HP, 62ft, 136GPM, Solar Water Pump with MPPT Controller, Suitable for Salt Water, JP31-19/1200...​

I want to get the max power I can out of it. Wondering if anyone can suggest the best panels to use ... Brand Size Etc... I am kinda new to this all.

TY Everyone
I will be buying the exact same pump. Two Qcell 330W panels should do it, as they are 40V voc.

My suntech 285W panels are 44Voc but the mppt runs them at 30V.

Also you're going to be drawing around 1500W on that pump so I'd be looking at 2000-3000W worth of panels

I would build a normal solar system with panels, batteries, inverter and get a quality pump

Last edited:
VOC= voltage open circuit...........voltage with no load
VMP= voltage at maximum power
IOC = current open circuit......0 amps
IMP= current at maximum power

when calculating maximum voltage use VOC this will be at the crack of dawn on that super cold morning where you have frost on the panels
when calculating power use VMP times IMP

Yikes. How big is this pool? My AC pool pump draws ~300W and services a 50,000 litre (13,200 US gallon) pool.
the description says 1.6hp. that's 1200W. so 1500W assuming some inefficiency

I have a variable speed pump on my pool and its around 600W at 2000rpm

We might have the same pump. So this is what it normally runs at

20210602_065206.jpg

And this is max

20210602_065246.jpg

We might have the same pump. So this is what it normally runs at
I list my exact pump model in the chart above. Display on mine is different to yours, and mine doesn't show power consumption. I got my power data from a separate power meter while manually adjusting the pump rpm.

I run mine at 1,900rpm, after a 5-min startup at 3,000rpm.

your pool pump is .4 HP? that doesn't seem right
It's a programmable variable speed pump and very efficient. It can run from at less than 300W up to ~1000W depending on the rpm setting.

For my pool's filter cycle needs, it only needs to be set to run at 1900rpm which draws ~330W.

It replaced an older single speed pump which used to draw ~1200W. The reduction in annual energy consumption was ~2MWh and as a result the extra cost of the newer pump over a like for like replacement was paid back in about 18 months.

Back