diy solar

diy solar

Portable Victron Power Station operational

I think the UL listed ones have a taller wire box to give you more room. But then it's bigger overall and you are trying to be compact.

In my opinion Victron took a giant step backwards when they opted for the flexible input wire covers on the Multiplus II. They are flimsy and easily move out of place unless placed just right. The original Multiplus had a screw down version which in my personal opinion was much better designed.

IMG_3817.jpegIMG_3818.jpeg

With this build there will only be one battery and one Multiplus. It is commonly recommended to use a precharge resistor to allow the capacitors on the Multiplus to fill, avoiding strain on the Multiplus and battery BMS.

For this build I will be using an approach demonstrated by Current Connected. Very simple and reduces the chance of a mistake:

IMG_3833.jpeg

It is a standard 12 gauge extension cord. Meant for a standard household circuit. The 6 awg from the junction box is to ensure the wire fits snugly in the Multiplus II. A revised version since this unit will be mobile.

You could put it to work running a window air conditioner unit or resistance heater or something between real tasks.

Alright NOW I have to ask cause it is pretty much all built. Have you put that Beast on a scale ? I am curious what that whole kit weighs all said & done, other have to be curious as well, I'm sure. Also I have to point out to other readers to have a Close Look at this setup, everything is so well covered to prevent accidental "contact" and the "little details" that can save one a lot of "pains". That really says a lot.

Have you put that Beast on a scale ? I

Almost afraid to. I will be assembling a list of pros and cons with this project. Weight was a potential con at the design stage. That is the primary reason I chose this model of dolly.

little details" that can save one a lot of "pains". That really says a lot.

Thank you very much. Very much appreciated!

am curious what that whole kit weighs all said & done

Here are some rough numbers.

Multiple position dolly 37 pounds
8s 304 cells. 97 pounds
Multiplus II. 42 pounds
Charge controller 6.5 pounds
Distribution box plus breakers 2 pounds
Assorted kiln dried lumber and 1/4 inch hardiboard. ??? Pounds
Battery case ??? Pounds
BMS, bus bars and assorted wires
Two outlets
Extension cord

Reason I chose the multi position dolly. A milk crate system would be much lighter.

This build met several objectives. A redundant Multiplus for my existing system. A plug compatible battery pack for my existing system. The ability to tie into my portable solar panel, BMS consistent with future plans, a generous supply of power for inside and outside the home and of course same voltage as my existing system.

Last edited:
I think at the end of the day one considers their needs and chooses the technologies which best serve this purpose.

I have really enjoyed this project and sharing it with others. If there are any ideas which others find helpful then I am grateful. There are multiple battery and power systems which are more than capable of filling this niche.

I enjoy the creative process and found it rewarding that what was once an idea has actually been possible.

I encourage interested members to study the various approaches out there. There are excellent examples which have been shared by others. @timselectric just posted a neat approach in his build thread.

Very nice work. This weight is pretty typical of a viable portable power system of this power class.

I am not sure if it would work with your solar charge controller or not, but I built a small test system to show another path toward pre-charging the inverter input caps. The basic idea is to use solar to charge up the system before turning on the battery pack. Some solar charge controllers will do this, and some will only turn on if they detect an "in range" battery voltage.

Back