diy solar

diy solar

Portable Solar Panel Protective Cases for Transport

dlt123me

I have been looking for a makeshift Solar Panel Case to protect my portable Solar Panels. I could not find one so thought I would ask here what others are doing to protect their portable panels. I don't have a shop, so can't build one using wood or plastic.

Now, don't laugh, but I thought about getting one of these large garment bags, and adding some foam padding inside and using these as cases... What do you think? Does anyone have a better idea?

MISSLO 50" Gusseted Travel Garment Bag

If you have _flexible_ portable solar panels, I see no reason why that wouldn't work. It's a simple solution.

I have rigid panels for ground deployment and have been thinking about how to safely store them.

Are you going to be moving them a lot? The guys that deliver glass and mirrors have racks on their trucks that work. If you are going to store them in the same place each time that is an idea. I know you don't have a shop but the concept of vertical storage is what I am suggesting. That seems to be best practice to prevent breakage of the glass. A padded bag will not protect against point loads.

Last edited:
Yes, I plan on using my panels when tent camping, so am trying to find a safe way to store them for transport and home storage. I would like to use a case specifically designed for solar panels to protect them, but I have found none. I guess I have to use my imagination and improvise.

Using the garment bag with maybe a thin piece of plywood to protect the glass along with some foam might work. You could then use the hanger on the bag to hang them in your closet, or in your garage, as long as the hook is strong enough to withstand the weight of the panel. Just brainstorming.

Thanks for the replies.

Look into Coroplast. It's lighter weight than plywood. You can buy it at the local Home Depot.

I've never heard of Coroplast, but I know what you are talking about. That would definitely work better than plywood. Thanks... I never thought about Coroplast, but wonder if this wouldn't also work if you put several together for 1/2 inch thickness. They're very light and also only $1.00 each at Dollar Tree. White or Black Foam Boards, 20x30 inches.

Thanks for the heads up.

Coroplast is available in various thicknesses. I have 3/8" that I used for numerous projects. I had it shipped to my local Home Depot, but I did have to buy a 5 pack. The standard thickness at HD is closer to 1/4". Or, just wait until the day after the election and pull up all the signs that the politicians leave behind. I think the 1/4" would be fine, but it depends on how you intend to abuse them. :)

I bought a Goal Zero Boulder case from B&H Photo for $50. It just fits one of my two 100W panels. Thought it would fit both. It's decent and should last a few years.

Coroplast is available in various thicknesses. I have 3/8" that I used for numerous projects. I had it shipped to my local Home Depot, but I did have to buy a 5 pack. The standard thickness at HD is closer to 1/4". Or, just wait until the day after the election and pull up all the signs that the politicians leave behind. I think the 1/4" would be fine, but it depends on how you intend to abuse them. :)

I believe after elections it won't be safe to be on the road... Gonna be a lot of angry people on either side because of the outcome of this next election. ;)

I think I have a better solution for the bag. I found this on Amazon and it looks like it would also hold two panels along with a styrofoam framework to buffer the panels on the sides, and would accommodate foam padding front and back on the panels.

Durable Storage Bag Extra Large Durable Water Resistant -- Dimensions are 65 inches x 15 inches x 30 inches -- $13.88 with free Prime shipping.

It turns out the garment bad I initially considered would be too narrow in width for my panels...

diy solar

diy solar
Back