diy solar

diy solar

A use for my portable solar panel?

kib

I have a portable 130W solar panel with an SAE plug at the far end. What I want to do is plug this into a 12V car throw blanket (enabling me to use the blanket while the car is not running). The blanket draws about 45W. If I were to just use an SAE-female 12V wire like the one below to attach the two, would this work or would I fry the blanket? These are inexpensive components I'm trying to find a use for, if my only option is to add $200 of other bits and pieces, there's no point. Thanks!

Edit: A related thought on this, can I use a cheap battery controller without an actual battery - in other words, we go solar panel --> cheap battery controller --> 12V socket (which will draw what it needs depending on what's plugged in).

Last edited:
What voltage is the solar panel? Most 12V stuff does not react well to over 15V (high end of the "12V" specification).
it says maximum power voltage 22V, maximum power current 5.91A, open circuit voltage 26.4V, short circuit current 6.35A, max fuse rating 10A, maximum system voltage 6 00VDC.

Do you think a cheap battery controller between the solar input and the 12V output would fix the issue?

Maybe something like this:

The controller will need to see a battery to operate so just rig up something to plug into the cigi lighter.
Then use the load side to power the blanket.
I see no reason it wouldn't work....

Reactions: kib
Maybe something like this:

The controller will need to see a battery to operate so just rig up something to plug into the cigi lighter.
Right! I am assuming the battery controller doesn't actually know what's drawing power, whether it's a drained battery or a thirsty electric blanket.

If you knew the voltage the blanket needs you could do an Amazon search for a converter of that size. I used this for a 12 volt to 24 VDC project. This has a wide DC input 9 VDC - 20 VDC.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ulator-Transformer-Waterproof/dp/B09GXXQZ6P/r

The SCC will need to see a 12v battery so this plan should work. It doesn't say max load current but most of this type will do 5-10 amps to the load.

Yes. I realize the power isn't going to a battery but directly to a device, wondering if the power would still be controlled / damped down.
Looking at this differently, why not get an SCC as @Drunkin Solar suggests and charge your car battery? It sounds like you would use this in your car and presumably your car has a battery so thinking this an option. You'd need to make sure you didn't drain your car battery of course.

A SCC MUST have a correct voltage battery hooked up to it as the first connection. Read the instructions. Just because you want something doesn't mean the electrical LAWS must follow your want.
The easy answer was given to you in a previous post.

Does the blanket have thermostat? Electronics?
Consider 2 blankets in series.
Consider opening PV panel junction box and tapping 1/2 voltage.
Consider a 50W PV panel.

Back