diy solar

diy solar

Powermax Converter Charger Cutting Off

jsmit209

I'm charging my 800ah 12v LifePo4 battery bank with a Powermax 55a, 3-stage charger. The charger is integrated into a power center (30-55LK). When I energize the charger, it delivers 44-47a to the batteries (measured by Victron Smart Shunt).

Unfortunately, it hums pretty loudly, and then after approx 6 minutes it cuts off entirely. At cut off, it feels pretty hot to the touch, but the cooling fan never turns on. Do I have a dud on my hands, or is there some troubleshooting I could try?

Notes: I've set voltage output to 14.4 and tried both constant and three-stage settings. 120v power coming in via 10ga wire to main breaker.

I'm charging my 800ah 12v LifePo4 battery bank with a Powermax 55a, 3-stage charger. The charger is integrated into a power center (30-55LK). When I energize the charger, it delivers 44-47a to the batteries (measured by Victron Smart Shunt).

Unfortunately, it hums pretty loudly, and then after approx 6 minutes it cuts off entirely. At cut off, it feels pretty hot to the touch, but the cooling fan never turns on. Do I have a dud on my hands, or is there some troubleshooting I could try?

Notes: I've set voltage output to 14.4 and tried both constant and three-stage settings. 120v power coming in via 10ga wire to main breaker.

My fan comes on pretty readily. Failure to engage fan and heat makes it sound like it's a dud.

If it gets hot and shuts down without the fan ever turning on it has an internal problem. Might be a fan, might be connection, might be in the actual controls.. who knows. But it's not normal operation, so if you wanted to replace with a very similar device i would not expect it to suffer the same fate.. it doesn't sound intrinsic to your setup, just a parts failure.

You can open up unit and check and see if there is Voltage present or not for the fan to run, or test the fan with power supply.
Pictures of inside the unit?

I was able to spin the fan blades with a screwdriver. What fix are you suggesting?

You can open up unit and check and see if there is Voltage present or not for the fan to run, or test the fan with power supply.
Pictures of inside the unit?

This.

Remove the cover and aim ANY fan into the unit. See if that fixes the issue. Can likely replace the fan for small $.

Fans are extremely cheap and i have bought a 4-pack of adjustable fan controllers for $18 on amazon before, so if the only fix required is fan related it can definitely be done cheaply. Now, how tedious it will be at your skill/comfort level is sort of your call to make, but if you plan to diy a bunch of stuff in the future you might as well tackle this until it starts to suck, or.. doesn't? Maybe you fix it maybe you don't but you'll gain something either way, even if it's just the knowledge that you didn't make things any worse by trying, and next time you dive in that little bit quicker. :)

Back