diy solar

diy solar

PowerMax P3 converter/charger 50amp 24v 3stage- adjustble per stage..... what to adjust for?

coachgeo

Poor Mans Expedition camper build
Sorry I can not search. Server here is having problems.... all searches return an error.

anyway..... I have a RV type converter charger.. PowerMax PM3 50 24LK. The manual sucks. Reading seems to say I can/must adjust output for the 3 stages to my preference ( to match type batteries I will use. Looks like first stage is bulk, (they call it booste) followed by "normal" then "storage".

lithium battery bank says max charge I should use is 50amp and 28.8v.

So what do you folk recommend for each stage?

thank you in advance.

Sorry I can not search. Server here is having problems.... all searches return an error.

anyway..... I have a RV type converter charger.. PowerMax PM3 50 24LK. The manual sucks. Reading seems to say I can/must adjust output for the 3 stages to my preference ( to match type batteries I will use. Looks like first stage is bulk, (they call it booste) followed by "normal" then "storage".

lithium battery bank says max charge I should use is 50amp and 28.8v.

So what do you folk recommend for each stage?

thank you in advance.

You can only adjust the bulk/boost voltage. The 13.6V "absorption" and 13.2V "float" are fixed.

What application?

this is a 24v charger not 12v.

Application is RV..... but I will be eventually using this 110v charger on occasions for lead acid bank. That bank will charge lithium thru Dc to Dc (and solar, @1000w) so can us alternator to charge when driving. I just need to maintain charge proper in these lithium while buidling the truck

you may be right though... this manual sucks.... Ill have to call seller

this is a 24v charger not 12v.

Application is RV..... but I will be eventually using this 110v charger on occasions for lead acid bank. That bank will charge lithium thru Dc to Dc (and solar, @1000w) so can us alternator to charge when driving. I just need to maintain charge proper in these lithium while buidling the truck

There is no need to keep LFP fully charged, in fact, it can accelerate deterioration.

Same principle.

what's so hard about this manual?

Very straightforward.
this was reading to me as each stage... has an adjustable Fixed voltage....telling user to wait till it reaches that stage before adjusting

".....
8.ADJUST FIXED VOLTAGE
DESCRIPTION: The unit is on the three stage charging mode firstly. 1. move the switch A to "Adjust Fixed Voltage", move switch B gently to
adjust voltage from 26~33V, and get a fixed output voltage. 2. make sure the voltage as 29.2V, move the switch A to " Three stage charging",
then the unit back to standard “Three Stage Charging”, run 29.2V almost 0.5 hour, 27.2V almost 12 hours and then to 26.4V. The voltage value
of 3 stage charging will be changed with fixed voltage changed when the unit on “Three stage charging”. .....

this was reading to me as each stage... has an adjustable Fixed voltage....telling user to wait till it reaches that stage before adjusting

Nope.

You switch to fixed PS mode to adjust boost voltage as the unit may drop to absorption/float if you try to adjust it in 3 phase mode, and you won't be able to adjust it.

Absorption and float will always be as specified within the manual... subject to accuracy/calibration issues of course.

Also worth noting that the 27.6V absorption voltage is more than adequate to get your battery to 98%+ state of charge if held there for 2-4 hours, depending on the wiring losses.

am aware not reaching full charge is not advantageous.

The first mode is bulk... so if I set that voltage not 28.8 what would you recommend? I am not aware yet of what voltages represent 90% or 80% for example. Manufacture of battery recommends above 60% minimal.

am aware not reaching full charge is not advantageous.

The first mode is bulk... so if I set that voltage not 28.8 what would you recommend? I am not aware yet of what voltages represent 90% or 80% for example. Manufacture of battery recommends above 60% minimal.

Almost impossible to do based on voltage alone without a proper battery monitor.

Also worth noting that the 27.6V absorption voltage is more than adequate to get your battery to 98%+ state of charge if held there for 2-4 hours, depending on the wiring losses.

About 26.4V resting voltage is around 70%. If you're not using these batteries, they're likely fine for 3+ months.

Almost impossible to do based on voltage alone without a proper battery monitor.

About 26.4V resting voltage is around 70%. If you're not using these batteries, they're likely fine for 3+ months.
appreciate. Battery monitor just not obtained yet. These rack batts do have individual monitors on them though so I can watch them. They are getting close to going under 60% right now.... thus the questions. I have had them for 4 months.

Back