diy solar

diy solar

PowMr MPPT 12/24/36/48 volt SCC

The voltage limits are a bit low. Normally, the good controllers have at least a 150V limit for incoming solar. Looking at the specifications, I see that for a 24V system the limit is only 105V. Even less for 12V. That means most likely you'd only be able to wire two 24V panels in series at 24V, and only 1 at 12V. Assuming that most grid-tie panels have a Voc of ~37-38V, at freezing temperatures their Voc is >40V. So, on a frosty January morning, two panels in series would be damagingly high for a 12V system. However, looking at the toroid rings on the motherboard, it looks like a real MPPT, and not one of the fake PWM ones. Still, it doesn't look like one of the best MPPTs.
1589128254121.png

You get what you pay for. Me, I wouldn't buy it. I don't shop at Harbor Freight either. When you buy a name-brand, you have an expectation of quality, and people that stand behind their product. With this product, it might turn out to be acceptable, but I wouldn't believe you'll actually be pleased with your purchase.

These things are actually rip offs of early generation MakeSkyBlue charge controllers, which themselves are defintely not top shelf. PowMr even had the gall to post items on ebay and ali* stating that MakeSkyBlue was copying their design. Buy the MakeSkyBlue if this is something you are considering, but don't expect it to be a smooth ride. Firmware .17 and .18 both still had poor MPPT often getting stuck on a less than optimal knee in the power curve, and even worse staying in mode 7 all day where they effectively operate as PWM controllers with the panel voltage being pulled down to battery voltage.

MakeSkyBlue isn't the only manufacturer that PowMr has ripped off either. Check their web site. Needless to say don't but the EpEver you'll see there, it too is a fake.

I know some people have no problems with MSB and the fakes of, but honestly I wouldn't touch either with a 20' barge pole.

Screenie of ad by Faker Co

1589310207255.png

Last edited:
Resurrecting an old thread but ...

PowMr 2: The Fakening

Yes, they are at it again, even more bold than before. In their continued attempts to say their cheap crappy knock off of an already cheap and crappy product is actually the real thing...

1597706067165.png

I guess they haven't been able to convince they guy that managed to extract the V116/7/8/9 firmware from the real item to give them a free copy. :LOL:

diy solar

diy solar
Back