diy solar

diy solar

PP Corrugated Sheet as Insulation? Is this good or bad?

zedconnor

I am considering of use this as insulated sheet between each battery cells in a battery bank.
Googling said these boards are kinda heat resistant to a degree. But I would like to know if its a good idea or not.

(I cannot get Epoxy Insulated Sheets, the yellow ones sold on Alibaba in this time due to blocked logistics routes.)

Screenshot_20231224_155728_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Might be handy to have an insulated sheet that can squeeze to a certain degree.. I see some people use thin cutting boards.. that you’d use in a kitchen..

You know that DIGIKEY and other electronics suppliers have FR4 sheets in stock and only requires a short wait to get.

DO NOT USE Incorrect Materials as there are many possible downsides. FR4 Epoxy/Glass separators are the PROPER item to use.
If you have a steel case/box, you must ensure that the casing is FULLY LINED so that no cell can make physical contact with the casing.

Using Rubber, Foam, Soft Plastics IS ABSOLUTELY NOT RECOMMENDED !!!!!!!!!

Or use electronic 'Fish Paper' you see this in electronics all the time, used to separate electonics from wiring etc.
There are rolls pre-cut to the same width as the cells, with peal and stick backing one side, it is about 1mm thickness.
For a stationary LFP DIY battery seems to work fine.

Or use electronic 'Fish Paper' you see this in electronics all the time, used to separate electonics from wiring etc.
There are rolls pre-cut to the same width as the cells, with peal and stick backing one side, it is about 1mm thickness.
I will check it out... sounds like it could be the cheapest option... thanx..?

fish paper is more like 0.3mm
That's what I use too, tons of options available.

Not gonna buy that FR4 stuff at that price. Saw his post in the FAQs section too. could buy larger bus bars, better shelves, larger space, more air gap, actual glass sheets etc all for less money than those are.

fish paper is more like 0.3mm
That's what I use too, tons of options available.

Not gonna buy that FR4 stuff at that price. Saw his post in the FAQs section too. could buy larger bus bars, better shelves, larger space, more air gap, actual glass sheets etc all for less money than those are.
Could always put 2 or 3 layers on if it’s cheap enough.... I’ve got a load of welly boots that got splits and holes.. I get through 2pairs a year.. and cut off the useable rubber for all sorts of things... prob don’t have enough for cell dividers...?

Keep it simple, this stuff can make life miserable if you goof up... Is this something you want to BODGE UP or get right the 1st time out ?
IT's Your money, property & life (lives) so choose widely & smartly.... Some things you can furtle about with a bit but some, not so much.
Hell, just skip fuses & breakers to save on cost - That would be a bad bodge job.... some have done it and later donlt speak up (admit) cause they are too proud they admit they pooched themselves.

In my set up, the cells never get hot, or even warm - this time of year I wish they got warmer. LOL.
I work with ebikes, and am a member on a DIY forum on this topic, they talk about "Fake Fish Paper" - so watch what you buy.
Proper stuff is UL 94/ASTM D-635 compliant. I don't say this is better than the FR, just seems adequate as a separator between the cells to ensure no electrical contact is made by mistake. That said, I don't use metal cases, so I am not concerned about a metal surface being less than a mm away from the alum cell in my battery packs. You do you, I will do Me.

Keep it simple, this stuff can make life miserable if you goof up... Is this something you want to BODGE UP or get right the 1st time out ?
IT's Your money, property & life (lives) so choose widely & smartly.... Some things you can furtle about with a bit but some, not so much.
Hell, just skip fuses & breakers to save on cost - That would be a bad bodge job.... some have done it and later donlt speak up (admit) cause they are too proud they admit they pooched themselves.
Steve what do you think of the cutting boards....? I can’t see that they wouldn’t be up to the job... if the cells get extra hot then the problem isn’t the dividers..

Back