diy solar

diy solar

Probably in over my head, but goin all in

markd06

Just received from sig solar: lg4 6500ex all in one, and one ll4 battery (yes only one, more when i can afford to), Build is for the the future and for now. Plans are to eventually have a split phase output with at least 4xbatteries. For now I'm gonna use this as basically a eco flow type setup, charge with a/c have backup power. Questions: What size ac cable (extension cord) am i gonna need to cut to wire into a/c in?, Would the same cord size be ok for the a/c out?, What is the minimum solar array i could use to at minimum charge or at least turn the inverter on? Nowhere in manual does it speak to that only max of 8000w, Next what panels should i use, knowing that im gonna get bigger as time goes on, How far can my panels be from the unit?, What is the real deal when speaking of voc, vs watt panel size, so confusing, can i just get any panels i want?. Not going to grid feed totally independent, straight up for backup for fridge, and small heaters thats it for now? What size cables for battery, came with some, look tiny to me but im a lineman 1/0 is small to me. Thanks for any input, I think i jumped into the deep end, but wanted to be able to expand and grow with the system, so be nice, i spent 3k and the wife is not happy, so i gotta make it productive.

much reading ahead.. it takes a while to get your head around. size wiring for current, calculate current to keep sizing down.. all trade offs.. watch Wills videos on that.. pay attention to the parasitic drag.. the questions you are asking are buried in this forum.. watch his building of a solar system .. look at his website.. it has so much detail about what you are asking.... Not pushing anything to the grid is smart. but having a downgrade tie is smart if the unit is programmed to expend batt/solar then tie when dead.. but I mean no issue, respectfully, you are asking questions that will have to be done with alot of self study on here.. and watching videos.. thats a big unit to feed small stuff.. but 48v allows smaller cables.. so watch his video about the 48v all in ones.. good luck..

On distance, voltage is your friend. Aim high to keep the amps and wire size down. My combiner box for my array is 100ft from my inverters.

You'll want to look at Will's full write up and videos below.

His wire video is also helpful.

I use Southwire's site for determining wire size.

Just received from sig solar: lg4 6500ex all in one, and one ll4 battery (yes only one, more when i can afford to), Build is for the the future and for now. Plans are to eventually have a split phase output with at least 4xbatteries. For now I'm gonna use this as basically a eco flow type setup, charge with a/c have backup power. Questions: What size ac cable (extension cord) am i gonna need to cut to wire into a/c in?, Would the same cord size be ok for the a/c out?, What is the minimum solar array i could use to at minimum charge or at least turn the inverter on? Nowhere in manual does it speak to that only max of 8000w, Next what panels should i use, knowing that im gonna get bigger as time goes on, How far can my panels be from the unit?, What is the real deal when speaking of voc, vs watt panel size, so confusing, can i just get any panels i want?. Not going to grid feed totally independent, straight up for backup for fridge, and small heaters thats it for now? What size cables for battery, came with some, look tiny to me but im a lineman 1/0 is small to me. Thanks for any input, I think i jumped into the deep end, but wanted to be able to expand and grow with the system, so be nice, i spent 3k and the wife is not happy, so i gotta make it productive.
It helps a lot if you slow down and break up your writing into discrete sections, so readers aren't overwhelmed with a mass of text. I'll try to answer some of your questions one by one.

Questions: What size ac cable (extension cord) am i gonna need to cut to wire into a/c in?, Would the same cord size be ok for the a/c out?,

Here is an ampicity chart. In general 8 gauge is the most that's required. I would not use an extension cord. This unit is designed to be hard-wired into a standard electrical panel.
1670512341187.png

What is the minimum solar array i could use to at minimum charge or at least turn the inverter on? Nowhere in manual does it speak to that only max of 8000w,
1670513641894.png

It states in your manual that you need a minimum voltage of at least 90V for your unit's MPPT to function properly. This might be four 60-cell grid-tie panels wired in series, about 1000W. If using larger 72-cell panels, at least three in series. That's your minimum.

Next what panels should i use, knowing that im gonna get bigger as time goes on, How far can my panels be from the unit?, What is the real deal when speaking of voc, vs watt panel size, so confusing, can i just get any panels i want?

You will want larger, grid-tie panels, not smaller 12V automotive panels. All the panels need to of the same amperage in a single string, but every single parallel string you use must have a maximal combined amperage of 18A. That would be two strings of panels in the 8-9A range.

Focusing on Voc is CRITICAL. The voltage of panels goes up as the temperature goes down, so you need to factor in your winter lows to determine what your max Voc is going to be. Here is a string calculator that helps you do that.

You may add to your system later with additional panels to each series string. The amperage of every panel in a single series string should be the same, within 5%. The voltage of each series string needs to be within 5% of each other.

With a voltage limit of 450V, you have a lot of leeway. You can use a voltage drop calculator to determine how far away you can position your panels. https://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html If you have to wire at least four grid-tie panels in series, using 10 gauge solar wire, you can run that 100-125' with less than 2% voltage drop. Use the calculator to determine how far you can go with your panel strings.

Not going to grid feed totally independent, straight up for backup for fridge, and small heaters thats it for now? What size cables for battery, came with some, look tiny to me but im a lineman 1/0 is small to me.

I'm using 000 for my smaller 24V workshop system, and 0000 for my 48V cabin system. With a 6500W inverter paired with a 48V battery, the amp draw would be 6500W/48V = 135A. Refering back to the ampicity chart, that's 00 minimum. Keep in mind that thicker battery cables also tends to reduce ripple current, which might be damaging to your battery.

Attachments

• 1670513606360.png
    1670513606360.png
    14 KB · Views: 2
I am running 2/0 to both my 6500EXs from main battery busbar with a T class fuse in the middle of each positive line. This run is very short for me with how I routed. Only 42" from busbar to 6500EX terminal (includes length of T fuse). If I was going to be 8ft or more I would have gone up to 3/0. 4/0 is awesome if you have the money to invest.

Back