diy solar

diy solar

Proper wiring for 24 v battery

Bubba2much

So I have set and stared at my batteries after rearranging them and am having a brain freeze. Here is what I would like to do . I have 16 3.2 life battries that i would like to make a single 24 volt battery out of . Can some one draw the wiring diagram for this for me. So what I'm trying to work through is wiring diagram for 16 cell 24 volt battery that I can use one bms for

Last edited:
I think you have too many -/+ links between the parallel pairs. Should you not remove every other link on both inner and outer circuits?
That done, each pair can be treated as one cell from the BMS point of view.

I think you have too many -/+ links between the parallel pairs. Should you not remove every other link on both inner and outer circuits?
Oops you are correct. Got carried away!
Screenshot_20191129-185248_QuickPic.jpg

So I have set and stared at my batteries after rearranging them and am having a brain freeze. Here is what I would like to do . I have 16 3.2 life battries that i would like to make a single 24 volt battery out of . Can some one draw the wiring diagram for this for me. So what I'm trying to work through is wiring diagram for 16 cell 24 volt battery that I can use one bms for
Yes, the above diagram is good.
The cells should be arranged in 8 pairs, with the BMS leads on the cell positives, and the one main negative.

Oops you are correct. Got carried away!
View attachment 2690
So this is exactly what i was trying to do except how will the bms know the voltage of each of the cells in each of the eight parralled cell if I am attaching the leads to the p terminal how will the bms pick up what the charge is in just one of the two battery in the group? seems to me that the first of the cells to hit the charge limt will trigger the bms

This the way I was thinking about doing it and I will try to build the battery tomarrow morn and let you know what happens. Courious to see how the bms see the two pos terminal of the eight pairs. My question at this point is should there be 16 lead to each of the pos?

This the way I was thinking about doing it and I will try to build the battery tomarrow morn and let you know what happens. Courious to see how the bms see the two pos terminal of the eight pairs. My question at this point is should there be 16 lead to each of the pos?
No.
The paired cells will automatically balance between themselves.

On the paralleled pairs they are tied neg to neg & pos to pos which makes them effectively one cell.
Do ensure they are the same voltage or very close before connecting them together. You can use a 50 watt 20 ohm resistor between the 2 positives to limit the balance current if need be.
Once you have 8 pairs leave them set for a day to stabilize before assembling the battery.

Will has a couple of videos' assembling exactly what you are doing, including attaching an 8S BMS to your pack. Well worth the watch, even if to just refresh the thinking.

Back