diy solar

diy solar

Protect vehicle alternator using RV solar charge controller?

KS_Kampers

I give up... I've searched through the forum and have not found a clarifying post.

Here's my dilemma... I may need to do an emergency charge on my boondocked 280Ah SOC battery from my 2019 F250 with a 150A stock alternator. Perhaps to simply get a slide in and get on the road.

I have a Victron Smart Solar 100/30 combined with a small solar panel setup (two 100W panels in series) that we use to refresh our battery while boondocking. Our power needs are typically very small. No inverter being used at all. However, it is possible that after several overcast days, we might be in need of bringing the battery up using our alternator to get packed up and go.

What are thoughts about using a 10AWG jumper as a jump charger from my vehicle battery terminals while running alternator directly to power my solar charge controller?

Can I safely use that solar charge controller as a buffer to protect my vehicle?

Any words of wisdom on how to perform the disconnect if doing this?

Crap. But thanks.

Can you point me at a DC/DC converter for this application?

Victron Orion XS

You MIGHT be able to get away with a boost MPPT:

But they may still require ~17V to operate properly.

Curious what the danger is of just using jumper cables to close the slides?

I give up... I've searched through the forum and have not found a clarifying post.

Here's my dilemma... I may need to do an emergency charge on my boondocked 280Ah SOC battery from my 2019 F250 with a 150A stock alternator. Perhaps to simply get a slide in and get on the road.

I have a Victron Smart Solar 100/30 combined with a small solar panel setup (two 100W panels in series) that we use to refresh our battery while boondocking. Our power needs are typically very small. No inverter being used at all. However, it is possible that after several overcast days, we might be in need of bringing the battery up using our alternator to get packed up and go.

What are thoughts about using a 10AWG jumper as a jump charger from my vehicle battery terminals while running alternator directly to power my solar charge controller?

Can I safely use that solar charge controller as a buffer to protect my vehicle?

Any words of wisdom on how to perform the disconnect if doing this?
I wouldn't worry about a short time frame to put some juice into the house battery off the truck.

Now if you're talking 15 to 30 minutes or more, it would depend on how much resistance the wire has to the house battery. If it can flow enough current, it will tax the alternator and overheat it causing damage.

using a 10AWG jumper as a jump charger from my vehicle battery terminals
Connect the jump cables to the 12v house system, engine not running, power the slides.
Even with the engine running the house battery will take a charge safely for short duration without damage to the alternator. The jump leads may get over warm depending on quality, disconnect if concerned.

diy solar

diy solar
Back